4. Nolanverse

Bruce Wayne didn't sleep often. Batman was a full time job more often than not. It wasn't unusual to see Bruce dragging himself to bed in the early morning light, when everyone else was just waking up. However, no matter how exhausted he felt, Bruce always had to take a detour before crashing in his own room.

  There was a bedroom a few doors down from his own. It was one of the larger guest rooms, with a plush bed and its own ensuite. There was a tall wardrobe next to a set of doors that led out to a balcony. Beside the balcony, a newly constructed trellis stretched the length between the balcony and the ground.

Bruce had had the trellis built because the room was frequented by a certain clown. Since Bruce had become...involved with the Joker, the anarchist had made a habit of crashing at Wayne Manor whenever he saw fit. He had quickly claimed the guest room as his own and complained just as fast at what a pain it was to climb up to the balcony. Bruce had suggested using the front door.

  The Joker laughed. "Do I look like I know my way around here?" He had said. "I don't have time to get lost in your richboy mansion. I already know that that balcony goes to that room."

  And so, the trellis was installed.

Bruce liked to make a habit to check the room before going to bed. He liked to know if the Joker was there. He didn't know why. Maybe it was just seeing him in a safe place that put Bruce at ease. He didn't know where the clown laid his head otherwise and the thought never sat right with him.

  Cracking open the door, Bruce peeked into the room. The first thing he saw was a familiar purple overcoat lying on the floor, next to a grey suit jacket. Sure enough, the Joker was sprawled out on the bed in a rare moment of peace. It seemed the Joker got even less sleep than Bruce did, if the way he crashed was any indication.

Bruce knew he should leave, that he should climb into his own bed for some much needed sleep, but he couldn't help himself. It was so rare to see the Joker like this, hackles down and defences set aside. If it weren't for the greasepaint smearing across the pillowcases, he'd almost look...normal.

  A tight feeling took hold of Bruce's chest. Despite his flaws, despite all that he had done wrong, Bruce really cared for this man. Was it too soon to say he loved him? He didn't know.

"Just gonna stand there and stare, huh?" The Joker suddenly spoke up.

"I...didn't know you were awake," Bruce said, feeling a bit embarrassed at being caught.

"Because that makes it better," the Joker chuckled to himself.

  He sat up, stretching his arms above his head. Bruce noticed his tie was missing, probably somewhere on the floor with the rest of his stuff. The Joker raised an eyebrow, tongue flicking out to wet his lips.

  "You gonna keep standing there or are you gonna come join me?" He asked.

  Bruce looked at him blankly. "What?"

  The Joker let out a theatrical groan, flopping back onto the bed. He gestured to the space next to him. "Get over here, Bats."

It took a moment for Bruce to get his legs to work. He walked over to the bed, lying down where the Joker had indicated. As soon as he was down, the clown rolled over and latched onto him, snuggling in close. Bruce couldn't stop the breathless little laugh that escaped him.

  "What?" The Joker said.

  "Nothing, just... I've never seen you act this way," Bruce answered.

  "And what way is that?"

  "I don't know..." Bruce chuckled. "Domestic?"

  The Joker hummed. "What, a guy can't be comfortable?"

  "No, that's not what I mean. I guess...what I'm trying to say is, I'm glad you feel comfortable with me," Bruce said.

  "Well, you are comfortable," the Joker mumbled, emphasizing his current position snuggled into Bruce's side. "Blame my good mood on the fact that I haven't slept in over 48 hours."

"Yeah, I haven't slept much either over the past few days," Bruce sighed.

"At least I don't dress up like a flying rat during my nights."

"No, just a clown."

"A clown with class."

"Is that what you call it?"

Bruce felt the Joker smile against his shoulder. "You are mean, Batman."

Bruce smiled as well. "Only for you."

"Mm, lucky me," the Joker mumbled contentedly.

"Lucky you," Bruce repeated, feeling the exhaustion seeping in.

He let his eyes drift shut, focusing on the feeling of the soft bed underneath him, of the Joker nestled into his side. The Joker's presence beside him was a constant reminder that, even if it felt like the world was falling apart, there was still something solid for Bruce to hang onto. It was comforting, though most probably wouldn't think such a thing about the Joker.

  Bruce was almost asleep when he felt the Joker nudge him. "What do you want...?"

  "If you wake up before me, don't wake me up just to say you're leaving or I'll have to kill you," the Joker said.

  Bruce smiled. "Sure thing, hun."

  "Don't get all sappy, I'm just stating a fact."

  "Noted." And then, because his sleepy, content self couldn't help it, Bruce hesitantly added: "Love you."

The Joker fell awfully silent for a moment that felt like an eternity. Already, Bruce had the excuse of "I'm sorry, it just slipped out" ready should the clown be offended. Instead, the Joker seemed unperturbed, still happily snuggling against Bruce. His hand moved onto Bruce's chest, fingers tracing indiscernible patterns on his bruised and battered skin.

"Whatever you say, Bats," he finally said, and Bruce felt his heart swell.

Whatever you say was close enough to I love you, too. And, with the Joker slowly drifting off to sleep beside him, Bruce mused on how he already knew this would be one of the best sleeps he'd had in months.

------------------------------------------------------------
yay first nolanverse oneshot done!

i kind of struggled for the ending but hopefully it didn't come off too weak lol

i love nolanverse. it was one of the first batman medias i ever got into😊

so i hope i did alright! i'm a little rusty with these versions of the characters, but hopefully it was okay x3

lemme know your thoughts in the comments! always love to hear from y'all💕💕