Chapter 23 | Forge of the First Ones

The Elder and Entrapta were waiting for us as we arrived back at the Forge. Entrapta was practically jumping on the spot from excitement and the Elder looked... tired. Their long talk must have gone well. Or perhaps interrogation would be a better word, I can only imagine the endless questions Entrapta must have had for the old Dwell.

'Welcome back, welcome back! How was your visit to Seer?' The Elder greeted us as we started walking inside, his low voice once again projecting that wisdom that I found strangely calming. Though I was still unsure what to make of it all.

'I'm not really sure, I just have more questions...' This was true, after all. The visit to Seer couldn't be described as enlightening. It could have been if I hadn't interrupted her, but all I was left with were vague hints that could mean anything. Except for the one that mentioned that door password, that one was more pointed but didn't really reveal anything useful.

The Elder hummed, considering his response while his walking cane tapped that regular beat on the metal floors. 'Yes, Seer tends to have that effect on people. She can only provide the slightest of hints sometimes. It gives me a lot to think about whenever I visit. Oftentimes, I'm unable to fully decipher what she means, but what I am able to understand usually comes to pass.'

'You mean like us being here - today?' Catra asked. She was still holding my hand, having not let go since we left Seer's house. She had also tried distracting me on the way back, asking what the rest of Seer's house had been like and commenting on how the lack of natural light down here made her fur feel itchy. I appreciated it, if only to hear her voice, and to stop myself from falling too deep into my own thoughts.

'Precisely. That was about a month ago now. I sent Dig and Dug up through the pipes to wait for you. Until you opened the door, that was the only way to get up to Dryl. Come, come, the moons are almost aligned - the entrance to the Forge is just down here...'

Entrapta squealed in delight, holding a tracker pad out in front of her with her hair as she looked over a flowing chart of information. 'I'm just so excited! Refined etherium has so many potential applications! I already have multiple theories for new inventions that I can't wait to test out!'

'I just hope this doesn't go wrong somehow...' Catra mumbled, low and out of earshot of anyone else.

'I'm sure it will be fine,' I hushed back, trying to be reassuring. 'What's the worst that could happen?' I mentally facepalmed when I caught Entrapta looking at me. I had said that last bit too loud.

'Well...' Entrapta started.

Catra's ears perked up, her grip on my hand tightening while her tail thrashed behind her nervously, 'Well? Well what?' I had hoped nothing would get in the way, that this would be a simple in and out, but with our track record of course that would be a pipe dream.

My gaze was briefly drawn ahead as we approached a door that was entirely out of place against the purple metal of the structure that surrounded us. It was a triangular First Ones temple door with a password inlayed into the front in that First Ones constellation writing. I recognised the word immediately: Eternia. I was still unsure how a door password could call for you, but I decided to bury that thought for now as Entrapta finally decided to elaborate.

'Well... there's a tiny chance the "Guardians of the Forge" will activate. But they've been powered down for hundreds of years so you should have absolutely nothing to worry about!' Entrapta beamed at us, clearly excited by the prospect of centuries old guardians coming to life and attacking us. I saw the expression Catra made at this admission and winced.

'What! And you didn't think to mention this before!?' I could feel her fur standing on end as Entrapta's words sunk in.

Letting go of Catra's hand, I reached up and smoothed down the fur on her shoulders, trying to reassure her as best as I could, 'Catra, it's okay. She says they've not been turned on for a really long time. So there's nothing to worry about.' Part of me was saying this to try and convince myself of it too, Entrapta's history with supposedly friendly robots briefly flashed into my mind but I fought that image down.