Chapter 12 | A Sudden Curiosity

Falling asleep while crying in the arms of the person you love isn't all that bad, it turns out. Especially when you wake up and they're still there, holding on to you as if you might float away if they let go. I could hear the comforting hum of Catra's purring, and I suddenly wished to see her face. Carefully, and without moving too quickly, I lifted my head away from her chest, leaving behind the sound of her heartbeat but instead being greeted by the sight of her calm, sleeping face. I reached up and rubbed some of the sleep from my eyes before opening them wider to take in the sight before me.

I had been curled up into a ball and she was curled around me, her arm around my waist and her legs up against mine. I couldn't help but stare at her face. She looked so calm, so peaceful. So beautiful. The ear that wasn't pressed to the pillow twitched every so often, but she didn't stir from her sleep. I let my eyes travel down her form. She was still wearing the grey top and shorts, so a lot of her was still on show. Her short fur was now dry, and as I gently lifted my hand to her waist I was reminded of just how soft and warm she was. I slowly lowered my head to her chest again, listening to the rhythmic drumming of her heartbeat. I could see the arm that stretched around my waist well from here, and I admired it. Catra had been especially scrawny for a long time in the Fright Zone, but now I could see there was more muscle there. Her forearm was especially well toned, and I found myself running my hand down it, feeling the contours of the muscle beneath, causing her fur to part slightly at my touch. Again, I marvelled at how soft she was. I could cuddle with her forever, never getting cold and always being comfortable.

I sighed contentedly; this was perfect. I wished this moment could last forever. Being wrapped in Catra's softness, her warmth, her love. I decided in that moment that this was what I needed for a long life. A long life with Catra. I then allowed thoughts from before the nap to encroach on me again. Catra had told me everything, everything that was weighing her down. I now shared that burden with her and would help her carry it forever.

A thought popped into my head. A sudden curiosity. I thought about Spinnerella and Netossa and their relationship. I was fairly certain that how I felt about Catra was the same way that they felt about one another, but they each referred to the other as their "wife." They were married, I knew that much, in the same way that Angella and Micah had been married. I knew it was a way to show devotion to the other, to signify your bond to that person. Suddenly, all I could think about was...

I want Catra to be my wife.

But I didn't know how. How do you form that bond? Obviously, nothing about that had been taught in the Fright Zone, and I had never asked anyone here about it before.

I want to marry Catra.

I wondered if Glimmer would know. I wondered if she would tell me about it seriously without freaking out.

I want to be with her forever.

But was it too soon? It had only been five days since we first told each other how we felt at the Heart of Etheria. But we had known each other forever, we had loved each other forever. We had spent almost our entire lives together, so was it really too soon? Or was it just the next step?

I decided I would talk to Glimmer about it before we leave for Dryl.

All of a sudden, I was being squeezed. Both Catra's arms were around me and I could feel her cheek against the top of my head, and I heard a contented hum rise from deep within her chest. 'Are you awake?' She asked, her voice quiet and sleepy.

I smiled, wrapping my arm around her, 'Yeah, I'm awake.'

'You cried for a long time,' she said, chuckling.

'So did you.' I looked up at her, my gaze immediately meeting those gorgeous blue and gold eyes.

She whispered, 'You started it.'