Chapter 22 | Why is a Raven like a Writing-Desk?

The outer city of Underdryl reminded me of the Fright Zone. Huge metal buildings sprawled across the ground and up the edges of the cavern, each one polka dotted with brightly lit windows which shone bright against the dull purple metal of the structures.

Dwells were everywhere. They appeared to be running around doing little errands, weaving in and out of doorways as we passed by. The majority were a similar height to Dig and Dug, but it seemed the ear length was the best way to tell their age. It also seemed that there were limitless shades of green that the Dwells could be. Some were a bright green, some a murky green, some were very close to being yellow. Every so often we would also see Dwells being followed by robots that I could swear were nodding their heads in greeting. It seemed that having robot servants was normal down here.

Dig and Dug tripped each other over ahead of us as they lead the way to where the Elder said Seer lives. Somewhere towards the outskirts of the city that wasn't accessible by cart. I had never met a seer before, and my mind raced at the possibilities. A woman who could see into the future. My future? Would I actually want to know? I wasn't sure. Knowing what was coming could be useful, especially regarding the Horde ships stranded in orbit around Etheria, disappearing one by one. Maybe she'd be like Razz, old and crazy... wait, Razz! I still hadn't gone to see her after everything that happened. Once we get back to Bright Moon that would be high on my list of things to do. I hoped Swift Wind was keeping her company still, he did say he always checked up on her now and again.

A cart rattled above us on one of the suspended tracks and distracted me from my thoughts for a second as I watched it glide away.

Thinking back to Swift Wind, I realised it had been a while since I had seen him or felt his connection to me. I held onto Catra's hand and closed my eyes while we walked, focusing on making that connection. I could feel him and in turn, he could feel me. He sensed my intention and let me see what he was doing. I felt the hard impact of wood against his hoof and he kicked in the doors to a stable, proclaiming, "I am Swift Wind, and I decree that you are free!" When nothing happened, and all the horses in the stable barely reacted, I felt the despondency wash over him. I burst out laughing as the connection faded, wondering when he would learn that-

I walked straight into something hard and metal and fell backwards, landing on the floor with a thud. Catra burst out laughing. I opened my eyes to see that she was doubling over, clutching at her stomach. I leant up on one arm and looked ahead, rubbing my sore forehead. There was lamppost directly in my path. I could've sworn we were in the middle of the street moments before, out of the way of any of the lamps that lined it. I watched as Catra started to recover and wiped a tear from her eye. She wouldn't have...

'Catra, did you lead me into a lamppost?' I sat up fully and held my hand out to her, realisation hitting me that Catra may be my girlfriend now, but she was still Catra.

She grabbed my hand and pulled me up, smirking. 'Who, me? Why would I ever do such a thing, Adora?' Her tone told me all I needed to know.

I rubbed my forehead as we continued following after the mischief twins, 'Ow... Why would you do that? My head hurts.'

Catra laughed, 'Adora, you held my hand and when I looked at you your eyes were closed. I can't pass up on a chance like that. Besides, I thought your hair poof might have protected you.'

My hands automatically reached up and patted at my hair poof. I don't understand why everyone keeps making fun of it. I always thought it looked nice...

**

The place Dig and Dug led us to couldn't have looked more out of place if it tried. There was no metal surrounding the rickety wooden house, the terrain rough and uneven. There were three floors, each seemingly held up by wooden supports that stretched all the way to the ground. I swear I could see the whole thing swaying. It looked like it had been here forever but could topple any second.