Chapter Eighteen

"No, we can't put that on a rock n roll record. We already have ten songs, Freddie is not going to let you add that one." Roger ashed his cigarette, missing the ashtray and letting it fall all over the table.

"He told me to write a song, I wrote a song." John replied, rolling his eyes.

"On a fucking electric piano, Freddie won't allow it. I'm not letting you slip that line on a record I'm part of. No." Roger stuck to his guns as Veronica and I laughed at their exchange.

"What's wrong with, 'I'm happy at home'? Aren't you happy at home?"

"We're a rock n roll band, Deaky, we're not a fucking girl group. No." Oh my God, he was so stubborn and this day, I came to see how stubborn John was too, as he continues to fight for his song.

It was a wonderful Friday afternoon, the sun had started setting outside, and Roger, John, Veronica and myself all decided that it had been way too long since the last time we had gone out to get a drink. Veronica wanted it to be a double date, and that is why no one else got invited. We were at a pub, a rather quiet one with some of the best songs I've ever heard, playing in the background. It was too early on a Friday for all of the heavy drinkers and party animals to be out yet, and I enjoyed being able to hear my friends without anyone having to shout.

"You know what, ask me again in four years and I'll think about considering your song. God, imagine wanting to write a song about your best friend." Roger rolled his eyes.

"Hey, that song is about me, I vote you add it to the record." Ronnie smirked, a drink in her hand, as I puffed on one of Roger's cigarettes.

I was becoming just like them. This was becoming a habit and I could practically hear my lungs begging me to put it out and to breathe some fresh air.

"Do you have a hundred pounds, love? If you have enough money to add this record to the album, we can record it." Veronica stayed quiet as Roger lifted his eyebrows at her.

"Yeah, John, maybe wait a few years before you record it." She grumbled, making it clear that her job as a teacher at a primary school wasn't paying her enough to be able to afford another song on the album. All the boys had saved months of money just to be able to record these ten songs.

Roger and John continues with their argument when Veronica turned to me, sipping on her glass of red wine, as I lifted my glass of white, taking a sip too, when she started talking, "Have you and Freddie shagged yet?"

I nearly spat my wine across the table at her question, my eyes growing wide as I looked to Roger and John, who hadn't heard a thing.

"Jesus, Ronnie. This is not the place or time, Roger is right ther-"

"Roger is arguing about music, he doesn't give a shit about what you and I say, he didn't hear a thing anyway. Have you? Mary says it's really big, you should invest in lubrica-"

"My God, you should not drink, I don't know you to be this filthy!" I gasped. "No, I do not plan on doing anything else with Freddie for the rest of my life. I told him after the thing in the dressing room."

"What thing in what dressing room?" She frowned.

Oh my God, I hadn't mentioned that bit to her, and I most certainly did not want to at that very moment.

"Uh, we should talk about it when we're alone." I frowned. "It's... A lot."

"More has happened? Gosh Clarissa, I knew there was more to you but I did not expect you to be the type to want to jump the man at every opportunity you get."

"I do not want to jump him, he made a move on me and it pissed me off. Ugh, I cannot handle his stupid games. I don't know what his plans are but he's so infuriating." I rolled my eyes and shook my head, downing the remaining bit of my wine.