2. Finding the boy (revised)

Start from the beginning

The young man that had been talking to the woman, crossed the space towards the little girl, squatting by her seat so they would be at the same height. The appearance of an unfamiliar face had her swallow a hiccup, looking at him with big dow-eyes full of tears.

- Did you burn yourself on the plate? - he asked.

With a pout, she nodded. The young man said something to the father and then grabbed a sealed bottle of beer from the table. His attempt to press the cold bottle to her hand area was met with a whine as she pulled away.

- If you press this against it, it won't hurt so bad, - he assured but she didn't seem to buy it. - You don't want to?

She shook her head.

- That's a bummer, - he set the cup back on the table. - I'm Blake. What's your name?

- Ana, - she muttered, the cry slowly fading away.

- Ana? I like that name, - crossing his legs, he sat on the floor right in front of her. It looked a bit dirty, but he didn't seem worried about it.

- And what's the name of your doll?

Mr Abe's gaze followed the girls to the doll set on her lap.

- Tina.

- And do you two play a lot together?

With another look at the doll, the girl agreed.

- Well, - the young man continued. - If you don't take care of the burn you won't be able to play with her. She'll be sad, won't she?

Ana's lips turned into a small pout, - Yes...

The boy grabbed the cup once again, - If you press this against your burn you'll feel better and you two can play, - although Mr Abe couldn't see the boy's face, he could hear the smile in his voice. - Don't you think?

Ana gave the cup a suspicious look but, upon some reflection, ended up taking the cup in her hand.

The boy stood up, patting her hair, - Such a brave girl.

Mr Abe smiled at the resolution, watching the proud smile on the little girls face. As her parents congratulated her on her courage, Mr Abe decided it would be best to go on his way. He stood up, looking down at his pocket to grab his wallet. As he rounded the table, he bumped into someone.

- I'm so sorry, - he rushed to say.

His eyes met the other person and he realized who he had bumped. The young man with dark hair smiled, - No problem.

Now that Mr Abe could clearly see his face, it felt as though something was out of place. The black hair, dark eyes, olive-toned skin... Mr Abe could swear he knew him from somewhere.

- Blake, -  the other young man that had appeared from the side door called. - We'll miss the bus.

- I'm coming, - he said and with one last smile at Mr Abe, stepped away. The two boys grabbed their things and, after hugging the small woman, ran out of the door.

Mr Abe stayed in the same spot, staring at the door, trying to make sense of that bugging feeling. Blake... the name also sounded familiar.

Then, he remembered. A hushed gasp escaped him.

It was him. The boy who had helped the Young Master, it was him. He was taller, generally grown up and the soaked high-school uniform had been swapped by jean shorts and a dark blue t-shirt, but Mr Abe was certain it was him.

Even three years later, the gratitude Mr Abe felt hadn't faded. Who knew what might have happened that night if he hadn't helped the Young Master.

Mr Abe pulled himself back to the present. He couldn't stay there gaping at the door forever. So, he made his way to the register where the woman that had received him – the boy's mother – was.