II. Outcome

Out•come: noun; something that follows from an action; result; consequence.

Two weeks later.

Winter was remarkable throughout the whole country. The wind was stronger than ever, the skies darker than ever, and almost all storms concluded in a snowfall with a neat and glittering white view as a result.

The time of the exams had begun; therefore students locked themselves into their homes with the heat on, growing stress inside their heads. England's cold was never easy. Going to school or even something as simple as going grocery shopping became challenging.

The events from the night of the party remained buried in the memory of those who had been witnesses of the paranormal. The group of friends had agreed on not talking about it, neither with other people nor among them. None of them could forget the incident though. It was stuck on their minds, specifically on Leah's. She kept thinking about the whole issue all day, and what's worse, all night. She had barely slept the past two weeks and every time she closed her eyes she saw the board moving in the form of an eight, she heard her friends screaming and tears filled her eyes over again. Dark circles had formed under her eyes, forcing her to use makeup so her parents didn't wonder about her whys and wherefores.

Although the days passed in a quiet and monotonous way without moving off the routine, Leah hardly came near her friends. Something was always feeling wrong with her, she felt colder than ever, she had lost weight, but that wasn't the worse part. Ever since what occurred that night Leah felt like something was going after her, something like a shadow. She looked over her shoulder every few minutes and every night was filled with nightmares.

Allie was the only one allowed to talk to her during those weeks, but little she had managed to cheer her friend up. Not even Alec was able to make her smile.

The only thing Leah kept thinking of was why. Why her? Why did whatever there was in that house want her to stay? For her, it didn't make sense. What is more, she thought it was a horrid prank that would be forgotten in the future, or at least she hoped so.

But I fear that, unfortunately for the human race, actions lead to consequences. Without reflection, we go blindly in our way, creating more unintended consequences, and failing to achieve anything useful, and that's what makes us human. That is what made Leah human.

It doesn't matter if playing that game was a mistake, what was really important and would blow her life like a hurricane was the infinite chain of consequences she, involuntarily, had brought into her life.

There were missing just a couple of weeks until Christmas, and like every year, that day her parents were celebrating their anniversary.

"You sure you'll be okay?" Her mother had asked her for the fourth time.

"I'm seventeen, mom; plus I'll be going to bed early." She had responded rolling her eyes.

Finally her mother gave in and ran down the stairs, where her husband waited for her in an elegant tux. "Don't forget you have dinner in the fridge!" She had told her right before slamming the front door of their Victorian house.

Now Leah was all by herself. The house was filled with a dreadful silence and the girl started to feel exhausted, so she decided to have a warm bath.

She turned on the hot water and poured some shampoo in order to fill the bath with foam. The steam began to stain the mirror, giving a cozy and relaxing atmosphere, and she started to remove her clothes.

Suddenly, a soft noise downstairs distracted her from her actions. She opened the door carefully and looked around. The whole house was empty.

"Mom? Dad?" She called, but no answer was obtained.