I. Spirit

Spir•it: noun; a malevolent being that enters and possesses a human being.

The loud music from the party was now barely audible. The only thing Leah could hear was her friends' giggles and a few teardrops hitting the windows of the cars and the bottom her empty red cup.

Her mouth expelled a slight cloud of steam each time she let out the air from her exhausted lungs thru the cold atmosphere. She pressed her fingers into a fist trying to keep them warm while her left hand was holding a lantern in order to avoid tripping. The lack of streetlights in that path made it obvious that it leaded to nowhere. She had never been there nor did she want. She knew about the stories and so did her friends, the reason why they were heading to the house. She followed them, being the last one, and sometimes she looked back and saw the big house's lights, wondering if people were having fun and wishing to be there.

"Leah!" Someone shouted distracting her from her thoughts, "come on, we are so close!"

She quickened her pace and reached the rest of them. Alec, the boy who shouted her name, waited for her and put his arm around her.

"Come here, slowie, you don't want to stay behind, do you?"

Leah blushed at his nickname and smiled slightly.

A few moments later the house came into their view and a couple of her friends ran towards the main entrance, screaming of euphoria.

"Yes! Look at this!" Naomi said.

Leah didn't give much importance to their actions because she was aware of how wasted they were; instead she paid all her attention to the frightening building. The structure was considerably damaged by the years and the absence of care. The wood was rotten and the remaining glass on the windows was broken very badly.

Just the whole picture of the house made her shiver, and the wind blowing between the injured structure joined to the extreme darkness didn't help to drive her thoughts away.

"I don't think this is a good idea", she said, knowing she wouldn't convince her friends.

"Leah is a pussy, Leah is a pussy!" A pair of them hummed in chorus.

"At least this will be more exciting than the party", her best friend Allie said.

That was the reason why Leah found herself in that situation. She didn't have many friends and Allie was like her sister, so she felt forced to follow them there. Besides, she really liked Alec, and lately, it seemed like he liked her back. She would follow him wherever he wanted if he asked her, and he had done it.

The other drunk boy, Oliver, opened the door without any effort, as if the house welcomed them and invited them in without putting any kind of impediment, and they walked in. Led by Oliver and Naomi followed by Allie.

Alec removed his arm from Leah's back and walked towards the door with quickened pulse due to the excitement. He looked back at Leah and saw her immobile staring at the house with a worried face.

"Leah, come on."

"I really don't like this", she met his gaze, frowning. "We don't have to do this, let's go back to the party."

The boy cracked a little smile and approached her.

"C'mon, don't tell me you're actually scared", he widened his smile and she looked down. "It's just a game, Leah, it's okay", he said lifting her head with his hand.

"I don't like this, please, let's go back", she asked one more time.

"Look, we'll stay for a few minutes and then we can go, yeah? Just you and me, I promise."