Chapter 20

The four words no one in a relationship ever wants to hear "we need to talk."  And yet Legolas had just said them to you as you were minutes from walking in to the fortress of Rivendell.  

You both slowed your horses down even more.  Noben turned in your direction at your pace change, but you both nodded at him in response so he kept moving, informing the others that we would be there soon.  

"Legolas, is now really the time, the council has already postponed this meeting enough," you said looking at him seriously.  The real reason was you wanted nothing more than a soft bed and some sleep, but you would not let on your pain.  

"I have already spoken to Lindor, he said that the meeting is not until tomorrow morning, we have some time," he said looking at the ground instead of you.  

You nodded at him even though he was not looking, "ok, what do you want to talk about?" you asked him.  

He was still looking at his feet and his words came out a little hesitant, "I was only looking out for you, I got mad because I felt like you weren't taking care of yourself (Y/N)..." he trailed off not sure how to continue.  

You reached for his hand and he met your eyes slowly, "Legolas, I am okay, yes I am in pain but I will manage, I didn't approach you because I figured you wanted time to process." 

"I saw you all day today, (Y/N), with Lindor, smiling and talking, you were happy again and you didn't even come talk to me," he said in a sad yet angry tone. 

You pulled your hand away from him at his sudden change in tone, "might I remind you Legolas that it was you who walked away from me, I was waiting for you to come talk to me."  

His tone rose, "and you went and spent the day with another man, and you were happy."  Both of your horses had come to a complete stop now as you continued to fight with him.  

"Yes Legolas I was happy! God finally someone who did not treat me like I was wounded-"

"You are wounded, (Y/N)-"

"But you don't have to treat me that way-"

"I am not going to let you hurt yourself-"

"I can take care of myself-"

"Yea and how did that work out for you last time-" 

"I survived didn't I-"

"Barely and only because I rescued you-"

"If you were with me I wouldn't have been taken-"

"Well maybe I should have left  you there then, and then we wouldn't be having this discussion because you would be dead-"

The words were out of his mouth before he could stop them.  The look on his face was one of instant regret as your face changed from anger to utter betrayal.  The tears threatened to spill over and he could see them, but there was no taking it back.  

"(Y/N) I didn't mean-" he began, but you were already spurring your horse on to the fortress trying to put distance between you and Legolas.  He didn't chase after you, but he wanted to.  

"What have I done..." he whispered to himself as a few tears stained his cheeks.