Chapter 13

Legolas' POV 

He heard loud noises from outside his tent, he had just finished placing the blankets down for when (Y/N) returned from her patrol.  He opened the flap of the tent and saw their company gathered in the center of camp all clenching their weapons in fear.  

Noben ran to Legolas explaining that a single arrow had landed in camp, there seemed to be no other immediate threat and no more arrows have come.  Legolas walked over to the arrow still lodged in the ground.  He knelt beside it and the others stared at him in confusion.  

Legolas let his fingers roam the careful and elegant fletching of the arrow and the intricate engravings in it.  He knew immediately that it was (Y/N)'s handiwork.  And he only had a second to realize it was hers before fear constricted his heart.  

Noben knelt beside him. "What it is my lord?" he asked. 

"Has lady (Y/N) returned from her search?" Legolas asked, his voice barely above a whisper.  He already knew the answer, but he refused to believe it yet. 

Noben seemed to understand his question and shook his head, "No, she left not too long ago." 

Legolas had a tear that finally spilled over and fell down his cheek, "This is hers, Noben, something must have happened, this was her warning." 

Noben knew that Legolas needed a moment to process, but he stayed by his side waiting for his next order.  But Legolas had no words that he could utter, his fear that he had lost the love of his life gripped him tightly.  The wilds had many bad characters, some of which would kill anyone just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  But there were others who would enjoy the company of lone travelers, especially that of a woman.  He feared the trauma (Y/N) could be enduring while he sat in camp.  

Legolas finally stood pulling her arrow out of the ground and carefully placing it in his own quiver on his back.  "Noben, have two warriors remain to defend camp, the rest will come with me to find lady (Y/N).  Make it quick."  He instructed. 

Noben did this and quickly gathered all but two of the company to search the forest around them.  They split off into two groups, one led by Legolas and the other by Noben, searching in different directions for any clues about where (Y/N) could be.  They searched for a long time with no clues to what had happened.  

Legolas came across a pile of leaves that seemed to be purposefully pushed into a pile, something easily missed.  Another warrior stood behind him watching their surroundings while Legolas knelt down to inspect the pile.  Moving the leaves he saw a piece of metal stomped into the ground by many feet.  He pulled the metal out of the ground and gasped when he discovered what it was.  

It was the ring he had given (Y/N) when he asked her to marry him.  He had a newfound hope that she was alive and fighting back.  The ring would not have come off easily, she must have taken it off for him to find and follow her.  He smiled at how strong and defiant she was, it was what he loved most about her.  He sent a man to find Noben and have him meet with their position.  

"Keep a look out for small clues," Legolas warned after explaining his finding of her ring, "she will likely have left us more clues to her location."  They all nodded in response and walked behind Legolas and Noben and they lead the company through the woods.  

Legolas tucked the ring into his pocket on his belt, but held it in his fingers lingering on it for a moment.  "Don't fear, (Y/N), I am coming, I will find you."