Chapter 11

You woke up before Legolas and peeked outside the flaps of your tent.  Sunrise was breaking and there was subtle light shining through the sky.  You decided that it would be best to get an early start.  You wrapped a light blanket around your bare body and leaned over Legolas who was still fast asleep.  

"Wake up my love," you whispered as you placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.  He stirred a little at your touch and slowly opened his eyes.  

"Well someone is up early," he said with a smile while propping up on his elbow to return your kiss. 

"I thought we could get an early start," you responded.  Legolas nodded in response and you both got up and helped one another get dressed.  You secured your weapons on your belt and back and walked out of the tent. 

Noben had already got the others up and they were dismantling your makeshift camp and packing it on to your horses.  "Good morning, my lady" Noben nodded cheerfully walking up to you.  "We will have the tents packed and ready to move out quickly, Demetrian has begun making a quick breakfast."  

You nodded thankfully, "thank you Noben, I was wondering where Calel is this morning?" you asked.  

Noben looked a little confused but nodded in his direction where you could see Calel was packing his horse, "Legolas will fill you in," you said to him before walking up to Calel.  

He noticed your presence and quickly stopped what he was doing to bow respectfully to you.  "Good morning Calel, I trust you slept well," you stated a little sarcastically.  

"Y..yes, my lady thank you," he responded hanging his head low at your disappointment.  

You placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, "Calel, I know that this is your first mission, and although I will not tell you it is okay to fall asleep while on guard, it is something that we do not have to talk about anymore.  You are doing well, no doubt you will be promoted upon returning to Mirkwood," you encouraged.  

He seemed to smile at your sentiment, "thank you, I promise to only impress you from now on."  You nodded in his direction and walked away without another word.  At this point most of the camp was packed up and you were all grabbing some llambas bread and water for breakfast.  

Before the sun had fully risen, you were off.  "We should try to get out of wild country by tonight," you insisted to Legolas while your horses were walking side by side, "I do not like the idea of us spending another night in unknown territory." 

"I agree, if we make good time today we should pass through the gap of Rohan by tonight."  Legolas stated.  "We won't have to visit, but it is safe land." 

You nodded and informed Noben, who was leading the company, of your plan.  Most of the day went by rather smoothly and quietly.  However, the terrain was rougher than you remember and you had not made it to the gap of Rohan by the time night arrived.  It looked like you would be spending another night in the wilds, but you had no idea just how terrifying it was going to be this time.