Chapter 4: Jaljayo Good Night

Jeongyeon's Thanksgiving

Christmas was fast approaching which meant Jeongyeon's annual Thanksgiving party was also just around the corner.

For the past five years, she had always invited even her distant relatives and long-time friends but it would be different this year— she'd only invite her closest friends and family.

Weeks after the BDZ issue came out, she introduced Eun Hwan to the world.

Jeongyeon: Yes, he is my son, my sunshine. He's five and he's kind and smart. That's everything you need to know.

A lot of questions were raised but she never answered them.

When's his birthday?

Why did you hide him?

Who is his father?

These were the common ones but she'd just ignore them.

Sometimes, she'd regret the decision to make him know publicly. Jeongyeon took her popularity lightly. She was overthinking again.

Before Eun Hwan was born, everything had been prepared. Clothes, his nursery, where he'd be studying, what she'd do to the media. She was not yet a public figure back then so even if she didn't have any appearance, it was not a big deal. She talked to her parents about the status she wanted for her child-to-be.

Jeongyeon: I wanna keep him, just for me.

She had always thought she already had everything prepared until Eun Hwan grew and turned out to be a smart kid. Jeongyeon remembered the days when she'd have anxiety attacks for worrying too much that Eun Hwan might ask about his father and these worries were coming back.

How would she be able to explain to his son that she chose to go through a process because she didn't want a husband before? Jeongyeon was a very strong woman that she hated depending on someone.

How would I explain that selfishness?

Looking back further, Nayeon and Jihyo were half-hearted when she shared her plan about having a child.

Jihyo: Don't you think you are being selfish to your future kid? Unnie, you would be bringing someone into this world without a father.

The ever so bubbly Nayeon silently spoke for the first time that night.

Nayeon: Don't, Jeongyeon. I exactly know how it feels to long for a father. I never met him and it hurts a lot. It still hurts. Don't let your child feel that too.

Her father died in an accident when she was only eight months in her eomma's womb. Jeongyeon felt sad upon seeing Nayeon like that but she had already decided.

Jeongyeon: I will dedicate every minute of my life to my son or daughter that he or she will no longer look for a father.

Her best friends were disappointed but accepted the fact that Jeongyeon was hard-headed most of the time. Jihyo even suggested having her date one of her cousins whom she had a crush since the beginning of college.

Jihyo: I don't know how you've suddenly changed and decided that you can't see yourself dating.

Jeongyeon: Because I've already seen my responsibility.

Jihyo: And don't you think having a child won't give you more responsibilities? Let alone having a child without a father. Just date him, I would tell him you are into him.

Jeongyeon: Were. That was a past tense. You talk about me suddenly changing as if I've always been into crushes. It was only him. *pouts*