Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Rowan followed Steve and Natasha out of the elevator, the room they entered was pitch black, the lights began switching on, obviously motioned activated.

Right in the middle of the room sat multiple computer screens, thick dust covering them, not having been touched for years.

"What is this?" Rowan questioned, curiously, looking around the concrete basement.

"This can't be the data point. It's technology is ancient." Natasha spoke, a unbelievable chuckle escaping her mouth as she looked around, just as confused as the other two.

Rowan stared down at the small data box, tapping it with her finger as Natasha looked down, her eyebrows furrowing, as she dug into her pocket for the hard drive.

As soon as Natasha plugged the hard drive in, the room lit up even more, the old computer beginning to get to work.

'Initiate system?' The computer spoke, Natasha took a step forward typing in "yes". Natasha looked back at Rowan and Steve with a smirk. "Shall we play a game?"

Rowan snorted, rolling her eyes as she looked up at Steve. "It's from a pretty popular movie-"

"I know, I saw it." Steve spoke, a smirk on his face before going back to stone cold serious as the computer began to beep.

"Rogers, Steven, born 1918." Rowans eyebrows furrowed as the camera landed on her face. "Green, Rowan, born 1995" Rowans eyebrows shot up as it moved to Natashas face. "Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna, born 1984."

"It's some kind of recording?"

"I am not a recording, Fraeulein. I may not be the man I was when the captain took me prisoner in 1945. But I am." Rowan watched as older mans picture came on the older screen, Steve looking around, angry. Rowan hardly ever seen Steve angry, he was always calm and collected.

"Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the red skull. He's been dead for years." Steve spoke, walking around, investing.

"First correction, I am Swiss. Second, look around you. I've never been more alive." The screen spoke as Rowan swallowed, nervous, sick to her stomach. "In 1972, I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body, my mind however, was worth saving on 200,000 feet of databanks. You are standing in my brain."

"How did you get here?" Steve questioned, standing on the left side of Rowan, shield in hand, Rowan knew he was on guard.

"Invited."

"It was operation paper clip after World War Two. Shield recruited German scientist with strategic value." Natasha spoke, shrugging her shoulders.

"They thought I could help their cause. I also helped my own." Zola spoke up.

"Hydra died with the red skull."

"Curt off one head, two more shall take its place."

"Prove it."

"Your first example stands beside you now." Rowans eyebrows furrowed, confused as Steve and Natashas eyes landed on Rowan, who stood between the two. "Shield thought it was the Soviet Union experimenting on the child...but no, she was supposed to be, another child of hydra. She was the first, but many followed."

Rowans felt her heart beating out of her chest, she was going to puke, she was sure of it. He was wrong, this machine, this man, whatever he is, he was lieing. It didn't know what it was talking about.

"Accessing archive." The voice spoke, she wanted it to shut up. "Hydra was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom. What we did not realize was that if you try to take that freedom. They resist. The war taught us much. After the war, shield was founded, and I was recruited. The new hydra grew. A beautiful parasite within shield. For 70 years, hydra has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war, and when history did not cooperate, history was changed." Rowan stared as flashes of pictures and file came onto the screen, Steve's face from the 1950s, a file named Rowan green, and than a picture of a man with a metal arm. The winter soldier.

"That's impossible, shield would have stopped you."

"Accidents will happen" Rowan watched as newspaper articles of Howard and Maria starks death flashed on the screen. "Hydra created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once a purification process is complete, hydras new world order will arise. We won't, captain. Your death amounts to the same as your life. A zero sum."

Steve's firsts collided with the computer screen in front of the trio, Rowan jumping at the action as Natasha bit her lip. Rowan was sure she felt as angry as Rogers.

"As I was saying" another screen lit up as Steve quickly moved towards it, leaving Rowans side.

"What's on this drive?"

"Project insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm."

"What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" Natasha spoke up, moving to Steve's side. Rowan was too busy in her thoughts, realizing all she was, was a monster created by hydra.

"The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it" this caught Rowans attention, her head shooting up, moving to Nats side, peaking out from behind Steve. The doors behind the trio, began closing, Steve spinning around and throwing the shield, to no avail. The shield coming back, landing elegantly in Steve's hands.

Nats phone began beeping, quickly she pulled it from her pocket. "You guys, we've got a bogey. Short range ballistic. 30 second tops."

"Who fired it?" Steve questioned, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Shield." Rowans eyes widened, as she looked around for some sort of exit. If she shot an energy blast, the building could possibly fall on top of them, or destroy the elevator.

"I'm afraid, I have been stalling, captain. Admit it, it's better this way. It seems we are both..."

Steve ran to the floor grate, ripping it off, Natasha and Rowan quickly ran towards Steve, jumping into the floor grate, Steve jumping in between the two.

"Out of time."

The explosion went off, rubble and debris flying everywhere. Rowan threw her hands above the three, a blue force field surrounding the trio, Rowan grunting. She had never done this before, she didn't even know what she was doing. Steve and Natasha stared at the girl, shocked. As cement and debris covered the small blue force field that Rowan has crafted.

Rowan groaned, she could feel the power draining from with her, she wasn't sure how long she could hold it. And as fast as the building had blown up, the debris settled, Rowan groaned.

She sent out a small energy blast, not large enough to bring attention, but large enough to move the debris from on top of the trio. Steve helped move the rest.

"How'd you do that?" Natasha questioned, squinting her eyes at the younger woman, as Steve and Natasha stood up.

"I-I'm not sure" Rowan mumbled, shrugging her shoulders, she was exhausted and tired, she was drained. "I-I can't stand"

Steve nodded at the girl, handing Natasha his shield and kneeling in front of her, his back to Rowan. Rowan crawled over, tossing her arms around his neck, as Steve held underneath her thighs. A piggy back, if this would've happened on any other occasion, Rowan would be making fun of Steve, but she was too tired. She leaned her head in between Steve's shoulder blades, before everything went black.