Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Rowan let out an exhausted groan, Steve had asked if she had wanted him to stay, Rowan finally convinced him that she was fine and he obviously had bigger problems and should probably deal with this Ultron thing. Rowan looked in the closet mirror of the hotel, her hair was now full of loose curls, there was a huge cut on her forehead, covered in dried blood. She still wore her sky blue dress, it now had black spots on it and dried blood. She kicked her shoes off letting out an exhausted sigh, making her way to the room, but a breeze threw her off.

She looked to the balcony door, it was opened, just a crack and she couldn't help, but smile. She kept all windows and balcony's unlocked, for a certain reason.

Biting her lip, Rowan spun towards the couch where the Raven haired man sat, looking at her an eyebrow raised. "You know, you should keep your windows locked?"

"I have a very compelling reason to not lock them." Rowan smirked, leaning against the wall, watching Bucky stand up. "You know, for someone who told me that I should stay away from him, for my own safety, you don't stay away from me for very long, now do you?"

"Sorry doll, I can't seem to help it. I really wanted to see that dress." Bucky looked down at the woman, brushing her hair out of the way of the cut on her forehead. "What happened?"

"Oh, you know. Avengers business." Rowan spoke, sticking her tongue out, teasing Bucky.

"Trouble follows you wherever you go?" Bucky questioned, a smirk on his lips.

"I suppose." Rowan swallowed, biting her lip, she just now realized how close Bucky was. "If I would've known you were coming, I would've made sure I didn't get the dress dirty."

Bucky chuckled, turning around and making his way to the small hotel kitchen, grabbing paper cups. "Rowan Green, I think you could wear a garbage bag and still look absolutely stunning."

Rowan rolled her eyes at the man, chuckling as she watched him poor wine into paper cups. "I worry about you over there, James."

"Good to know that I got you thinking about me." Bucky smirked, handing her a paper cup as Rowan gave him a playful snack on the chest. "No, don't worry about me"

"Why'd you send me away? And than five days later, you show up." Rowan spoke, taking a sip of her wine, annoyance in her voice as Bucky let out a sigh.

"I had too. You weren't safe with me, you almost got shot. You almost died." Bucky complained, guilt and sorrow in his eyes and Rowan sighed.

"And yet you returned." Rowan spoke, raising an eyebrow.

"Maybe, I'm selfish." Bucky mumbled, his eyes on the ground as Rowan grabbed his metal hand, bringing his attention back to her.

"James, I think you are the least selfish person, that I've ever met. Don't say that." Rowan spoke, her eyes stern on him as he let out a sigh.

Bucky wanted to tell her the truth, he wanted to grab her hand and tell her. That when he was with her, that was the only time the nightmares stopped, that was the only time he ever smiled, that was the only time he ever felt peace. But, he couldn't tell her. No, Rowan was perfect, kind, beautiful, and him. Well, he was a monster.

Rowan grabbed both his hands, looking up at Bucky, a bright smile on her face. "Steve didn't dance with me tonight."

Buckys eyebrows shot up, complete shock on his face. "He didn't dance with you, while wearing that dress, while looking like that?"

"Nope, I didn't get my dance" Rowan bit her lip, watching as Bucky shook his head, in disappointment.

"Well, I always was the smart one out of us two." Bucky spoke, wrapping his arms around Rowan, dipping her as she let out a squeal of excitement. "I really did come back just to see you in your dress"

"I bet you did, James Buchanan Barnes. You dog." Bucky smirked at Rowans words, pulling her back up, her arms wrapping around his neck. "You know what would go better with our dancing?"

"Rowan Green, if you say what I think you're going to say...I might have to just make you run away with me." Bucky spoke, watching as a smirk slowly appeared on Rowans lips.

"Some Etta James" Rowan giggled and Bucky spun her around.

"You're going to be my future wife, I bet on it." Bucky spoke, sending Rowan a wink, causing her to laugh even more.

"I bet you say that to all the ladies, James Barnes." Rowan spoke, the smile on her face, only growing.

"Oh darling, only the ones who like Etta James." Now Rowan bursted out laughing, playfully smacking James chest, causing him to chuckle. Rowan almost missed it over her own fit of laughter, his own laugh was surprisingly soft, not gruff like his voice. No, the laugh was, angelic.

Rowan let her head rest on Buckys chest, closing her eyes. And it that moment, just for a simple moment, nothing else mattered in the world. It was just Bucky and Rowan, dancing in a random hotel in downtown New York to some Etta James. And in that moment Rowan wasn't a weapon created by shield and Bucky wasn't a weapon created by Hydra. They were essentially two adults, falling in love in Manhattan.

And in Manhattan, Bucky couldn't help, but think. Maybe, I should go to Steve, maybe life would be okay, and maybe. Just maybe, he would be able to dance with Rowan until the day he died.

But that's not a reality, Bucky knows it. All that is, is a dream. He was the winter soldier, he had a disturbing past, a past that nobody can just let him forget about. So when Rowan pulled her head away, looking up at him. He was brought back to reality, and his reality was not ending up with the Italian in the blue dress. No. That was just a dream.