Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"Stay in the truck, Rowan. It's too dangerous, Rowan. UGH." Rowan growled, sarcastically.

Rowan laid in the back seat of the truck, arms crossed as she waited for Natasha and Steve in the truck. "So dumb."

A black vehicle in peripheral vision caused her to jump up. She looked just over the edge of the window, watching Rumlow and the team hop out of the swat vehicle. "Oh shit."

Rowan, climbed over the console, jumping in the drivers seat, and starting the truck. Rowan watched the front entrance, tapping her finger, nervously against the steering wheel.

She jumped at the sound of the door clicking open, Steve looking at her with an eyebrow raised. "Get in the back, no way you're driving."

"Ugh...you never let me do anything fun." Rowan grumbled, crawling back into the back seat, crossing her arms.

"Is that what you think this is, fun?" Steve interrogated, annoyed with the girl in the back.

"No, it's not any fun." Rowan growled, looking out the window as she heard Natasha chuckle in the background. "You never let me do anything."

"Yes, because this is dangerous." Steve spoke, as Rowan looked out at the trees outside.

"I've trained my whole life for dangerous." Rowan argued back, as Steve let out a huff.

"Doesn't matter, you're under my watch and under my watch you listen to me." Steve looked back at the girl through the rear view mirror, watching as she rolled her eyes. Natasha raised an eyebrow at Steve, a large smirk plastered on her face. "We're borrowing feet off the dash."

"Alright, I have a question for you." Natasha inquired, as Rowan continued to pout, looking out the window. "Which you don't have to answer, but i feel like if you don't, you kinda are-"

"What?"

"Was that your first kiss since 1945?" This caught Rowans attention, as she began to eavesdrop, still looking out the window.

"That bad, huh?"

"I didn't say that"

"Well, it kinda sounds like that's what you're saying."

"No, I didn't. I just wondered how much practice, you had."

"You don't need practice"

"Everybody needs practice."

"It was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm 95, I'm not dead" Rowan snorted at this, earning a glance from Steve in the rear view mirror. "Watch it, kid."

"Nobody special though?" Natasha questioned, as Rowan scooted to the middle seat, to get a better view of the banter as Steve scoffed.

"Believe it or not. It's kinda hard to find someone with shared life experience." Steve spoke, glancing to Nat.

"Oh, that's alright, you just make something up." Natasha shrugged as Rowan thought about it.

"What like you?"

"I don't know, the truth is a matter of circumstances. It's not all things told, all the time. Neither am I." Nat spoke, shrugging and smirking.

"That's a tough way to live."

"It's a good way not to die, though." Nat spoke, staring into space before looking back at Rowan. "Write that down in your Caps lessons book."

"Do not write that down." Steve spoke sternly, his eyes on Rowan in the rear view mirror, who had a smirk plastered on her face. "Because it's hard to trust someone when you don't know who that someone really is."

"Who do you want me to be?" Natasha questioned, eyebrow raised.

"How about a friend?" Rowan watched as Natasha let out a chuckle at Steve's words.

"Theres a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers."

Rowan watched as Natasha, leaned against the window, closing her eyes. Rowan laid down in the back seat, following Natasha moves and closed her eyes, sleep quickly taking her.

When Rowan woke up, the vehicle had come to the halt, the three jumped out of the vehicle, Rowan following behind Natasha and Steve. "Is this it?"

"The file came from these coordinates." Natasha spoke, her eyes on the GPS, before they flicked up at the metal gate.

"So did I." Rowan knew where they were, she wasn't an idiot she had owned the captain America auto-biography. But what she didn't know, was why was she here? Why were they here?

Rowan followed behind Natasha, who was following the GPS. It had gotten dark quickly, Rowan could tell Steve was in his own little world. She didn't know if it was from memories or PTSD. Too scared to ask.

"This is a dead end, zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even radio." Natasha spoke up as Rowan tore her eyes from Steve and to Natasha. "Whoever wrote the file, must've used a router to throw people off."

Rowan and Natasha watched as Steve stared off into the distance, both their eyebrows furrowing, confused.

"What is it?" Rowan questioned as Steve started walking off, Natasha and Rowan jumping over the railing, jogging to catch up.

"Army regulations forbid storing ammunition with 500 yards of the barracks. This buildings in the wrong place." Steve spoke before cracking open the large metal lock on the large metal door.

Natasha and Rowan were quick to follow behind him, into old Shield headquarters. "This is shield?"

"Maybe where it started."

Rowans eyes glanced over the area, the three making their way to multiple portraits. "There's Starks father."

"Howard"

"Who's the lady" Rowans eyes landed on Peggys portrait, Steve had only mentioned her a couple of times, didn't say much. Rowan knew the story, she never pushed.

Steve didn't answer Natasha, walking away. Rowan was quick to follow behind Steve, Natasha staying behind for a glimpse at the portraits.

"Steve, I got a bad feeling about this." Rowan spoke softly, walking beside the super soldier, who didn't reply, only stepping closer to a bookshelf. "What is it?"

"If you're already working in a secret office" Rowan took a step back as she watched Steve pulled the book shelf to the side, revealing an elevator. "Why do you need to hide the elevator?"

The three made their way into the elevator, making their way to the basement, the last floor.