♂ the boy who stared

Start from the beginning

My eyes just about pop right out of my head as I continuously shift my gaze from Ron to Ginny, looking between the two in sheer disbelief.

"What?" Hermione exclaims, dropping down to kneel in front of the boy who remains as still as a statue.

"You're not serious," y/n insists.

"What'd she say?" I question.

"No, of course," Hermione states confidently, earning a glare from both y/n and myself. Luckily, doesn't seem Ron seems to notice the comment.

Instead he cringes, face scrunched, eyes shut tight, he groans as he shakes his head, no doubt replaying the surefire horrific, potentially traumatic experience in his mind.

I watch wide eyed in a state of disbelief as Hermione recites the words that all of us had been thinking. "She said yes?" She breathes out, hands coming up to cover her mouth in shock.

"Don't be silly," Ron finally collects himself enough to speak."There she was, walking by," he speaks dreamily, like a lovesick puppy before he pauses and glances over my way. "You know how I like it when they walk."

I nod at him whilst flashing a sympathetic half smile. It's true, he does love it when they walk, or breathe. . . or just simply exist.

"I couldn't help it. It just sort of slipped out," Ron reminisces.

From beside him, Ginny frowns slightly. "Actually, he sort of screamed it at her," she corrects. "It was a bit frightening."

y/n lets a few giggles leave her lips causing both Hermione and I to glare at her warningly. While Ron and y/n are almost constantly ripping on one another, now just isn't the time. 
Immediately she begins clearing her throat, a poor attempt at disguising her laughter as a cough. "It's not funny," she says seriously, hitting Hermione on the shoulder as if it were she who had been laughing in the first place.

"And what did you do then?" I ask carefully, encouraging Ron to finish his tale.

He looks to me crazy-eyed. "What else? I ran for it," he then looks back down at the ground, discouraged. "I'm not cut out for this, Harry. I don't know what got into me."

"Hi, Harry," I turn my head to see Padma and Parvati walking past just behind me, arms linked. I turn away, dismissing their greeting this once, Ron clearly needing my attention more than the girls do at the time being. I tune back in to his sad venting but not for too long as y/n nudges me with her elbow.

I look at her, a pitiful surge of hope coursing through my veins ridiculously. How pathetic am I to really believe that in hearing Ron's humiliating tale that she'll rethink her decision and realize that she wants me as her date after all. She obviously doesn't. Instead she juts her chin in the direction the twins are walking away and the hope turns to confusion.

I frown at her, shrugging my shoulders to display that I haven't got a clue as to what she's hinting at. I mean, maybe it was a little ill-mannered of me to ignore their hello but why point it out?

I can feel her irritancy as she rolls her eyes and not so discreetly points at the two girls. 

This time I turn my head and stare at them shamelessly to see if I'm missing anything but all I can see are the girls talking amongst themselves, giggling and occasionally looking over my way. I suddenly remember that I'm fully staring them down so I wave awkwardly before turning back to y/n. "What about it?" I whisper, the hints clearly not working.

She sighs an exasperated sigh and grabs me by the sleeve of my hoodie, dragging me to another part of the common room, away from everyone.

"Seriously, Harry," she huffs in annoyance. "You're as innocently oblivious as a turkey on Thanksgiving."