55. Baby it's just me and you

Start from the beginning

Something woodsy, earthy, manly. Hard to miss.

And then I fell into a deeper sense of calm when his large hands enveloped mine on the handrail, night robe covered chest, strong and protecting, grazing my back.

I felt his chin settle on my head, hands twining with mine, "Me sklavonis, Mila..." he breathed out.

Closing my eyes, I surrendered myself to his deep accent that weaved his voice in an unforgettable melody. You're enslaving me, darling, he was saying.
A voice I'll weep to hear again in my century.

Weep was such a weak word to describe it...

I pushed back a little, wanting him to enclose me in his arms, "You weren't in your room?" I asked softly.

His stubbled face came to rest on my bare shoulder, as I felt him breathing in and out, slowly, relishing in every moment. Just like me.

"There," he whispered, light brown eyes pointing to the rooftop which looked down at his balcony.

"The way you stood fearlessly, hairs flowing in the warm night breeze," he whispered, "looking so damn-" he sighed, a chuckle resonating in my ears as he chose to pour out the right words, "it was enough to leave me breathless," he confessed.

When his gaze left the rooftop, so did his hands from mine but now, they came to rest on the side of my bare waist, fingers splayed on my skin, thumb brushing, "No woman had ever left me breathless just by the sight of her," he looked up into the sky with me, another hand making its place by my free side, securing me finally. I leaned my head against his chest, knowing the true definition of peace.

I didn't know what to say of it, my cheeks warming up, "How... does the Moon change its shape?" I asked instead, curious to know what he knew of it.

"This is a nineteen-year cycle," he murmured, "after which the phases are repeated on the same days of the year, or approximately so."
I laughed softly, knowing well he wasn't aware that the Moon revolved around the Earth. If only I could tell him...

"Mila," he smiled against my cheek, "haven't we..." his voice dropped an octave lower, "...slipped past the main reason we're here for?" he brushed his lips by the side of my jaw, and my eyes closed off at the contact.

Everything felt immense with closed eyes. Now I knew why the eyes closed the moment one shared a kiss.

When my conscience arrived, he wasn't there.

I looked around, felt up my arms, my face, and turned around. No one. Was I imagining it?

"My Lord," I said once, eyes searching for him. Craving for him, "Where are you... My Lord?" I stepped back in. This time his room in clear view for the Moon had shifted, brightening up his room with its glimmering streaks.

My movements were slow, deliberately wanting the predator to attack me. That was the level of insane I'd become, but I didn't care. I stopped to look at his bed, my back facing the window.

Pillows were propped neatly by the headboard and I thought back to the words I'd heard at the banquet...

"Aw, I know it's me! Tonight I'll be spending the night with Julian," The red-haired noblewoman was laughing as she'd take sips of wine from her goblet.

"Not you, it's me," Another Princess from a faraway kingdom had smirked, "Don't forget, it was me who he had..." Her revelation hid in a wave of secretive giggle, "Let's just say... he will be mine tonight."

They knew so much about him and me... I knew nothing. Perhaps I never will.

"This way, Cors," My breath hitched when I heard the mesmerising baritone, my head turning back on its own.