𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗 - 𝐩𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝

╭────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ──────╮

I know I didn't upload all week.
I am making up for it with a long chapter. Enjoy!

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

𝐎

December 1st, 1996

Dear Margot,

You once told me that nothing good will happen at a school party. The tale is told and so cliché that I could die of boredom. You spend your week planning the clothes you're going to wear only to decide on something else two minutes before leaving. Saturday is spent daydreaming and saving some energy for a wild night. There is hype, there is anticipation. And by Sunday morning it all goes away. You smell the smoke on your clothes and feel cheap and wasted. Nothing has changed.

I think that you're going to find this occasion a little bit familiar...

On Thursday night, Neville pulled Hermione, Ginny and me aside. At first, he was hesitant and didn't speak freely. He started asking questions about that Saturday night party he'd heard the Hufflepuffs were throwing. Who was invited? What sort of music would there be? Was it casual or fancy?

"Have the Ravenclaws been invited?" He had left this question for last.

Although the party was common knowledge for everyone who was casually eating their lunch in the Great Hall that evening, Neville kept his tones hushed. Maybe he was afraid of some professor listening in our conversation.

"I am not sure..." said Ginny with a frown. "Hermione, should we ask Luna?" she said at once.

"Absolutely. Although I am sure she will be against a party like that. We have a test on Monday morning! We should spend our Saturday night a tad more productively than jumping up and down in the Room of Requirement, shouldn't we?" said Hermione turning to me, her only supporter when it came to avoiding crowded places.

"Are you asking me?" I asked. "Because you know I'm showing up in jeans and a jumper and I'm leaving early – before I have to carry Ron back to his room again. It's someone else's turn this time. Come to think of it, why am I always the sober friend who has to make sure no one sleeps on their back?"

"Girls!" said Neville and raised a hand. "Weren't you going to ask Luna if she is coming?" he said shyly.

"Oh! Right! Come on, Hermione!" said Ginny.

I chose to stay behind, not only because I had brought three books with me to lunch and was dreading any unnecessary trip during which I would have to carry them with me, but also because the girls might have looked over Neville's odd questions while I certainly hadn't.

"So... Luna is very fun..." I said raising my eyebrows. Neville was a shy person and I didn't want to put him in a tough situation with any invasive questions.

"I know what you're thinking, Ophelia!" he burst out when he noticed my suspicious look.

"I didn't even say anything!" I said throwing my hands up astonished.

"You were about to!" said Neville pointing at me with a smile.

"Yes, I was..." I admitted sighing.

Neville went back to his pumpkin juice but I was getting the feeling that he wasn't done talking about this.

"I think it's very sweet that you want her to come to the party," I said.