𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 - 𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬

╭────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ──────╮

𝐎

September 13th, 1996

Dear Margot,

Harry and Ron are beginning to forget all about my summer absence and I am glad. Life hasn't exactly resumed but it's not static either. It's in the happy moments when it's apparent that things have changed. When Ron tells a joke I either feel obligated to laugh or feel guilty for finding it actually funny. I don't know what's worse; lying to their face or feeling the shame on my skin?

If I had missed anything here in Hogwarts, it was my spot in the Slytherin Common Room.

The Common Room can be very cold sometimes because it touches directly to the Black Lake, so most of the Slytherins prefer sitting at the posh, leather couches near the fireplaces or at least get a snack from the small Dining Room that is set here in the dungeons.

As for me, I like watching the waters dance as the last light of a tiring day dies out, curled up with a good cup of coffee and an interesting book. I don't mind bringing a second sweater or a blanket with me if it means spending some time alone in my forlorn nook, writing to you, Margot.

I miss you, Margot. You don't know how much...

The night must have fallen quickly while I was distracted writing. I was suddenly awakened from my daydreaming by the piercing cold that had managed to penetrate my clothes. As we were getting closer to midnight, my cosy corner became less so. Sometimes I forgot how quickly the autumns grew cold up here in Scotland.

Most of the Slytherins were tired after the first week of classes and had turned in early to make sure they would enjoy their walk at Hogsmeade first thing in the morning. I was always a night-owl and I think the third cup of coffee didn't help much, so I thought there was no harm in lousing around near the fire for another hour. I picked up my notebook and sat on the thick, green carpet, my back turned to the flames.

"Draco Malfoy, you swine! Don't you care about us in the slightest?" I heard Maya's whispered voice as she was walking down the staircase quickly.

"No, Maya Flint. Frankly, I do not give a damn about you two. I want to make use of my bedroom tonight because, oppositely to both of you," said Malfoy and showed Maya and Blaise Zabini, "I am a productive wizard that happens to have more urging matters to tend to than where I'm going to host my cosy 'slumber-party' by ruining my roommate's sleep!"

The three of them walked into the empty living room in hushed tones and were too caught up in their fighting to acknowledge my existence. Only Malfoy caught a very brief glimpse of me. He stood up straight, he ran his hand through his hair, he adjusted his rings on his fingers. I watched his behaviour change ever so slightly. Harsh though he would continue to be, he would try to force out any speck of coolness.

"Oh, come on, Draco! It's just one night!" said Blaise in a calm tone. It seemed that Blaise Zabini was always the most collected in any situation.

"Blaise this is not a negotiation. Go sleep in Maya's dorm!" said Draco.

"And where is my roommate going to sleep?" said Maya.

"Do I have some sort of label on my face that says I care?" said Malfoy and shrugged his shoulders.

He walked to the nearby table that always served hot tea for the Slytherin who needed it. As the couple kept fighting behind him, Malfoy pretended to fill up a cup with some tea but instead pulled out a flask and poured a honey-brown liquid in the porcelain. He looked over his shoulder to make sure Blaise and Maya were too busy discussing so that he could screw the lid back on the flask and hide it masterfully.