𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎 - 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

╭────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ──────╮

𝐎

August 25th, 1996

Dear Margot,

It's always bittersweet when summer comes to its end. An inevitable melancholy consumes me every time I have to leave my family, and this time I can feel it more than any other summer.

During my first years in Hogwarts, summer holidays were very enjoyable. Although Hogwarts was always a place that fed my old soul, I didn't have any friends. I easily got homesick. I missed my family – and you, of course, Margot.

Things slightly changed during my fourth year, when I started spending more time with Harry and Neville. Please, do not assume I think less of our friendship – I know it irks you when I talk about my friends from Hogwarts. I miss you every day, Margot. But I hope you are happy that I go back to a school that I fully enjoy and that I don't feel lonely in.

Maybe it will be easier to forget there. During the summer I didn't have the strength to talk to any of my friends but now that I'm going back to Hogwarts, I'll have to, want it or not. I consider this both a curse and a blessing; a curse because I dread the moment I will have to fake a smile in front of my friends and a blessing because, if I don't force myself to smile, I doubt I'll ever feel happy again.

But sometimes, I wonder if that's what I truly want. I know myself. If I ever feel happy again, it will be happiness full of guilt.

Tomorrow it's Monday and it's past time I bought my supplies and books for this year. I heard Fred and George recently opened a joke shop that is going really well. Maybe I could find something to accompany the Herbology Encyclopedia I got Neville for his birthday. Of course, his birthday was at the end of July, and although I know he was perfectly satisfied with my birthday card, I want to give him a memorable present when I meet him.

I know what you would say; You're compensating your absence with presents, Ophelia. Yes, I know, Margot. You're right...

Sometimes I stared at the blank page and didn't know what to write to her. I didn't know what I was supposed to be feeling.

...Margot, I feel like I'm letting you down.

I think about all our memories together. Those carefree summer days and ballet sessions. Remember when we begged Mrs Petrova for the keys for the classroom so that we could practice on Sundays? We couldn't get the pointe shoes off, and we bled so much that day but we did manage to nail our triple pirouettes. I miss those days.

Maybe we should meet again and dance all night like the good old times. Would you like that?

I don't want to go to Hogwarts and forget about us...

Sometimes I didn't know what else to write to her. I didn't want to explain my day in too much detail, in fear of looking too deep into my thoughts, so I would enchant the paper and store my memories in a spell. It was easier than writing – and less painful. Now, if I used the right spell and touched the paper, I could see my day right before my eyes.

Just as I was about to wave my wand over the paper and start my 'recording' of my day, I heard a discreet tap on my window. A snowy owl was sitting on the ledge and tapping the glass with its beak. Alaska landed easily on my bed and hissed loudly, her black fur getting fuzzy and her tail standing up warningly. Alaska never liked owls which often created problems between her and Hedwig.