𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗 - 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐬

╭────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ──────╮

𝐎

September 14th, 1996

Dear Margot,

It was one of these times when you wake up and smile for some unknown reason.

When I played the events of last night in my head, it was evident that I had no reason to be smiling, of course. No matter how natural it all felt, no matter how much time had passed since I last didn't want a night to end, n̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶e̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶o̶o̶d̶y̶ ̶l̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶n̶e̶s̶s̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶v̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶(̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶o̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶e̶m̶b̶a̶r̶r̶a̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶r̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ I̶ ̶w̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶l̶e̶e̶p̶)̶,̶ 

I have to stop thinking about these things...

In any case, what I wanted to say was that, no matter how much I̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ fun I had last night, I had absolutely no reason to smile. Draco Malfoy reeks of hate and hypocrisy. Maybe he didn't have as much fun as I did. Maybe he didn't see that we could easily be friends. So no, I don't have a reason to smile...

Since I had slept very late – or very early, depending on how one looked at it – I woke up when the morning was turning to noon.

Maya was singing in the shower. One thing that I had noticed throughout my years of sharing a room with her was that nothing could ruin her day after she'd spent the previous night with a boy. It was audible in the charming vibratos of her voice that she had a very good night indeed.

I was always wondering how that worked. Why would you be so blissful and cheer after a tiring night? I always guessed that it was one of these things that you have to experience yourself and I was sure that the day that I felt this kind of euphoria would take much longer to arrive than it would for the average person.

"Good morning, Blackthorn!" she sang as walked to her trunk, wrapped in a green towel. She was very happy indeed because she seldom greeted me in the morning.

"Hello..." I said and pressed my palms on my eyelids.

"I'm going to Hogsmeade with the girls. I don't know if I'll see you until later so I have to ask; will you sleep with the Gryffindors today after all?"

The illusion was shattered, as expected. Maya was never too courteous if it didn't benefit her in some way. If she wanted something, she said it without waiting for you to have your first cup of coffee. With a hardly functioning brain, I tried to think of my plan for the night.

"Err... Yes. The room is yours..." I said and turned my back to her, wishing for a few more minutes of snoozing.

"Thank you!" Maya said her thanks and went back to her singing. How happy could one be?

During our walk last night, when the brief thought of my plan to keep my end of the bargain and let Maya have the dorm for herself the following night momentarily crossed my head, I had hoped that the same walk would somehow repeat itself and therefore there wouldn't be much need for a sleepover with the Gryffindors. But then I harked back to how cruelly he had ruled this scenario out.

Bold of you to assume there is a chance we will meet again. His words were clouding my mind and made me squint with embarrassment. I would never be friends with some proud muggle-lover half-blood. Tonight was an exception. How had he managed to make me feel so crazy, so delusional, so psychotic? I breathed out heavily and pressed my pillow on top of my head. I had an urge to scream so as to relieve myself of the awkward memory.