Stood Up

"Is this guy even friendly??" Leorio continuously interrogates you. This is about the fourth time he's asked you this question, much to your annoyance, "You haven't even met him in person yet!"

You're currently getting ready for a date with a man that you met online. You had been talking to him for a while now and had decided that it was time to finally meet in person. You made the mistake of telling your good friend Leorio about your plans, and unsurprisingly, he was immediately suspicious of this strange man he had never met. He invited himself and Kurapika into your apartment while you were getting ready for your date and now he's insisting on him and Kurapika going along with you to keep you safe if this man tries anything. It really is endearing how much he worries about you, but his concern is completely unnecessary.

"What if you don't like him in person?? What if he acts completely different than when he messages you?" Leorio's loud arguments distract you from your thoughts, your attention falling back on him.

"That's why we're going on a date," You point out to your obnoxious, yet, good friend, "Leorio, I'll be fine. He's a nice guy. Besides, we've video chatted before."

"You say that now, but all guys are the same! They all want the same thing!" Leorio argues back to you, waving his finger in your face as he does.

You roll your eyes at this and playfully smack his hand away, a sly grin on your face as you quip back, "If that's the case, wouldn't you be included in that? You are a guy after all."

Leorio's cheeks quickly grow red from embarrassment, prompting him to turn away from you with a sulking expression on his face, his arms crossed, "No, I'm different..."

"Of course you are," Comes your reply, accompanied by a soft chuckle, "I don't need a chaperone, Leorio. I'll be fine. Alex and I have been talking for two months now."

"Just let me and Kurapika come along!" Leorio turns back to you now as he pleads with you, "You won't even notice us!"

"Leorio..." Kurapika finally closes the book he was casually reading and sets it down on your coffee table, "(Y/N) will be fine. You're worrying too much. She clearly does not need us to accompany her."

"But-!"

You set a gentle hand on Leorio's shoulder, easily earning his attention as you offer him a reassuring smile, "I appreciate your concern but I can take care of myself. If I have any problems, you'll be the first person that I'll call. How does that sound?"

Leorio's silent for a few moments, hesitant to agree with you. Finally, he lets out a defeated sigh, a small grin forming on his face afterward, "...Fine. I guess there's no way to convince you. Just be safe, okay? Kurapika and I would be really sad if something happened to you."

"Mainly you, though, right?" You tease him, already knowing what his answer would be.

Leorio averts his eyes from you, ignoring the rising heat in his cheeks, "Y-yeah, maybe," He looks down at his watch and feigns surprise when he notices the time, "Look at the time! You're gonna be late if you don't leave now!" He starts pushing you towards the door, earning playful laughter from you. 

"Alright, alright. At least let me grab my coat."

Kurapika watches you and Leorio unknowingly flirting with each other with a raised eyebrow and a knowing grin on his face. Leorio and Kurapika leave your apartment first and wave goodbye as you walk off down the hallway, excited for your date.

Leorio watches you with a pouty look on his face, earning a curious look from Kurapika, "Are you truly that jealous? Why don't you just tell her how you feel?"