The quietness in the middle of nowhere

Two hours had passed since the two had said goodnight to each other, and the silence grew the more y/n lied there thinking about it.

Wanda lightly tossed and turned in the soft sheets of her bed. The moonlight barely poured in through her thin curtains, but that wasn't what was stopping her from sleeping. She clung to her red blanket for any ounce of comfort she could get while the thoughts in her mind completely revolved around y/n.

Y/n lied on the couch on her back, her eyes stuck to a specific spot on the ceiling with no real motive. Her fingers drummed subtly on the back of her other hand and the beating followed the small tune of what wanda hummed earlier which had been stuck in her head since.

After moments of deciding whether or not she was going to go to sleep, y/n pushed the thin blankets off of herself and sat up in a slump. She scratched the back of her neck while her head turned to scan the room for something she could do to put her to sleep.

Even while she was sitting in the silence, she knew that she wasn't going to fall asleep any time soon and sighed. Overcome by her own restlessness, she decided to take wanda up on her early offer and get a drink from the kitchen.

Clearing her throat, she stood in the centre of the kitchen and looked around for anything to occupy herself that wouldn't disrupt wandas sleep.

Nothing seemed to immediately interest her until her eyes landed upon something that turned her mindless stare into a captivated gaze.

It was the cupboard which she had raided for supplies the first time she stepped foot into the home, and it looked almost the exact same as it did when she first opened it.

The cupboard had clearly been carelessly pushed closed, which made it obvious that wanda hadn't gotten around to properly fixing it. A sigh fuelled by guilt slipped from her breath as she looked at it.

Bunching up the top part of her sweatpants, she crouched down and quietly pulled the door open, keeping her hands out to catch anything that could've fallen. 

Although she managed to hold back most of the heavy medicines that tipped over, a few nearly empty bottles hit the ground. She paused and tensed, giving it a few moments to check if wanda heard it before gently placing the rest of the medicines on the floor.

Despite how careful y/n was, it still jogged wanda out of her light sleep state. Her first thought was that someone was breaking in or trying to get in to hurt her, and she tensed into her defensive mode.

Twirling a thin strand of red energy between her fingers, she crept out of bed and opened her door as quietly as she could, careful not to alarm the potential intruder.

By the time she'd turned the corner, y/n had sat herself down with her legs crossed beneath her as she sat in front of the cupboard. The moment wanda realised what it was, the red energy instantly retreated back into her veins.

Her brows furrowed ever so slightly as she tried to understand why y/n was doing what she was doing.

'was she trying to find something in there?' She thought to herself, 'no, she would've just asked me.'

The longer her eyes stayed on y/n, the more her thoughts ran through her head.

'was she taking things to leave in the middle of the night?' As much as she tried to dismiss the thought, it crept up behind every other thought she had.

Y/n moved out of the way just enough for wanda to clearly see what she was doing. All of the medicines in the cupboard were in the floor beside her, and she was loading them back in, in a neat, organised manner.

'it wasn't something she was doing for her own personal gain' Wanda realised, 'she just cares'

A soft smile spread across her face as she stood there, watching y/n do something she never really thought she'd see her doing.

Subconsciously, she bit the corner of her lip while considering the faint idea that hovered in the back of her head as she watched y/n. After finally deciding that she was going to do what the thought told her to, she tip toed back to her room as quietly as she could.

Slumped over, y/n remained assorting the medicines into a specific order. That was one thing she was always good at: organisation. It was something she often had to turn to as a result of her life getting too out of hand for a simple solve.

By the time she'd fully finished the cupboard, it had been roughly ten minutes. Now she was much more tired and she'd slumped over so much that her back begged her to lie down on the comforts of the couch.

As she stood up, she gently closed the door and smiled proudly to herself when it slotted right into place without a sign of struggle.

She stayed staring at her work until the sound of wanda's door gently closing caused her head to turn for a moment, but she shrugged it off and prepared to try and go to sleep again. With a small yawn, she walked back over to the couch with the intent to lie there until she fell asleep.

Not thinking too much of it, she stretched her arm and yawned again, her eyes loosely roaming around while she walked back over to her temporary bed.

When her eyes landed upon the couch, there was something different about it. When she squinted through the darkness and figured out what the new addition was, she paused.

There it was. Spread across the beige couch was wanda's favourite blanket. It was smoothed out to the point where not even a fold dared to appear in its soft fabric. It gracefully welcomed y/n to a comfier, warmer night. Not only did it do that, it also briefly showed her another side of wanda. A side she was intrigued by.