6. Waking up with a bang

Aleida's POV

Okay, so... This constant void is starting to piss me off. Why the hell am I stuck inside my own mind?! Ugh! It's so dull here, and I have absolutely nothing to do. I scroll through my memories day in and day out without understanding them.

The only thing that gives me some kind of comfort is the memories I have with my parents. Above all, a special memory deeply confuses me...

*Memory begins*

I'm outside in the backyard playing in the trees at the edge of the forest. The sun is shining, the birds chirp, and my mother has made me a flower wreath. She put it on my head and gave me a big smile; her white teeth sparkled in the sunshine; she put me on her lap and gave me a glass of icy lemonade.

"You're an extraordinary little girl, Aleida. There is a lot of evil in our world, and therefore I would like to remind you that you should always act with consideration. The key to inner peace is love and communion. You will one day lead your own pack. Then remember these words, they will have more meaning to you than you think," she said and started humming "Amazing Grace" while rocking me back and forth between her arms.

I drank happily from my straw; a butterfly sat down on my white thin summer dress, and I giggled at it. I looked up at my mother, who kept smiling at me and humming. I shone up when my dad walked around the house towards us.

I jumped down from my mother's lap and ran up to him as quickly as my short little legs could carry me. He crouched, smiled, and opened up his arms, prepared to receive me. My tiny body flew into his. He lifted me and spun me around; I giggled.

"Look, mommy, look, I'm flying!" I shouted to her, laughing.

"I see you, baby girl. You're so good, my love!" she shouted back, smiling.

"Come on, baby, go play by yourself for a little bit, and daddy's going to go talk to mommy, okay?"

"Okay, daddy."

I sat in the grass and played with my doll, Macy, while hearing that they talked with serious voices. Dad looked at me anxiously, and mom had unshed tears in her eyes. I stood up on unsteady legs and walked up to my mother.

"Don't cry, mommy, you must be happy," I said anxiously and looked at her with my big eyes.

My words made her tears flow, and she took me in her arms. She cried loudly against my shoulder, held me hard against her chest and sobbed. Dad's behind me, keeping us all together. He looked like he was ready to fight to protect us. A lonely tear fell on his chin when he looked down at me.

"Never forget that you will do great things, Aleida. No matter what happens, we love you, and it will never change. Never forget where you come from, but most importantly, never forget who you are," my mom said, still sobbing.

*End of memory*

I don't know what will make me return to that memory voluntarily, given that it begins very beautiful but ends in tragedy. That memory somehow attracts me. I can't let it go, somewhere it feels like I need to remember it. I wonder why my mother and father were so sad...

Had I done something wrong? The unfortunate part is that I'll never have the opportunity to ask them. Regardless, I feel that now it's time to wake up. My memory reminds me of my dream since they died, I have to wake up, NOW!

Miliano POV

I'm sitting as usual in her room, with her hand in mine. She doesn't look as pale today. Now it almost seems as if she's sleeping a regular sleep and will wake up. It's wishful thinking. Even though her wounds have healed and the doctors haven't given her more sleeping pills, she hasn't woken up.