viii | illyria's lament

| a short note: i usually publish several chapters at a time, but because of this one's length, it's the only chapter of the week. i'm serious this bitch is lengthy and 3 times what my normal chapters are. it's 23k + words so make sure you've got time to sit and read cause she takes a while.

i present to you what you've all been waiting for: illyria's lament. enjoy :) |

"i demand that which i was denied all those years ago. you will give me illyria lytar or you will watch your kingdom fall."

[3.8 — Illyria's Lament]

Morgana had been pestering Arthur for several days about spending more time with her

Morgana had been pestering Arthur for several days about spending more time with her. That was why the two were currently at the training grounds and sparring with their swords. As they fought, Merlin stood nervously to the side. As always, he was worried about what Morgana was up to.

No, it was not a part of Morgana's evil plan to slay Arthur during a practice session, but it sure was fun to watch Merlin squirm. For once, she was being honest. It had been a while since she fought with a sword and wanted to keep in shape. Arthur, of course, won all the matches and was not even fighting his hardest. Though Morgana was not one to forget that she had beat him several times as children ­— to which Arthur would reply that he had been sick that week.

Merlin remained off to the side ready to do whatever Arthur asked of him. He had been extra attentive the last few days — as well as less annoying — knowing he would need to be on Arthur's good side to ask a favor of him. Thankfully, the Prince was in high spirits as he beat Morgana during their last match.

"Once again, I have proven to be the better warrior," Arthur taunted. He walked over to Merlin and shoved his sword into his arms. Morgana rolled her eyes as he gloated. "Merlin, be sure to sharpen that after you clean the stables."

"Yes, Sire," he muttered. Figuring that now was as good a time as ever, he quickly cleared his throat. "Um, I was actually wondering if I could ask something of you."

"Me do something for you?" Arthur asked, raising an eyebrow. "I believe I'm the one that tells you what to do, Merlin."

"Yes, I'm aware. I just wanted to request a day off on Thursday," he said quickly.

"You don't get days off," he replied, scoffing.

Morgana rolled her eyes. Sure, she may not have liked Merlin anymore, but even she knew he worked far too hard. "I think you can afford to take care of yourself for one day. Or are you really so helpless?"

Arthur narrowed his eyes, but before he could start an argument, Merlin began talking again. He knew if those two got into it, he'd never get another word in. "It's just that it's Lia's birthday. We didn't do much for it last year, but she's finally twenty-one. I'd like to take her out for the day to celebrate her being of age," he quickly explained. "You know, take her to lunch, walk around the markets—"