iv | the poisoned chalice

"are you telling me that you didn't notice your pillow croaking before you went to bed?"

[1.4 — The Poisoned Chalice]

Camelot was as busy as ever with the arrival of the visitors from Mercia

Camelot was as busy as ever with the arrival of the visitors from Mercia. The two lands had been at war for some time, so it was a blessing that King Uther and Lord Bayard finally agreed on a peace treaty. Because of this, the castle was full to the brim with visiting nobles and their servants. That also meant that Gaius and Lia were dealing with almost double the amount of requests. On top of their regular physician duties, they were dealing with the visitors and their numerous ailments.

Lia was running around the castle all day, making deliveries so that Gaius would not wear himself out. Her arms were full of various concoctions and herbs, as well as a hastily scribbled list of who got what so that she wouldn't lose track.

"My Lady, do you want me to fetch you a basket?"

Lia came to a halt and saw Sir Leon approaching her while eyeing the pile of things she was holding. The knight approached her and took a few of the bottles from her grasp before they could topple to the ground.

"I hadn't really thought to grab one," she admitted sheepishly. "However, four of these are being taken to Lord Fairview's room, which will make the rest easier to carry. He's far too old to be traveling, in my opinion, but I suppose he didn't want to miss something so historic."

"Well, then let me help you carry these at least to Lord Fariview," Leon offered.

"You're too kind, Leon," she said, grinning. "But I don't want to keep you from any of your duties."

Leon waived her worries off. "Arthur won't mind waiting."

Lia scoffed as they started walking down the busy corridor. "Prince Arthur is one of the most impatient men I've ever met."

"Maybe so, but if he gets upset, I will not point fingers at you," Leon assured her. "Though I don't see how anyone could ever be mad with you."

"Just ask Merlin. He's cross at me all the time," she told him.

Leon chuckled. "Yes, well, you do seem to always be tormenting him."

"It is a little sister's duty to tease her older brother," Lia stated.

"How long have you known Merlin?" he asked, growing curious. They had all thought that Merlin and Lia really were related from how close they were, so they must have been friends for some time.

"Well, my father and I moved to his village when I was eleven, and I'm nineteen now, so that's... about nine years now. Though it feels like longer some time," she said, smiling. "And then when my father died, Merlin's mother took me in. I know we're not blood-related, but he is my brother in every way."