x | the moment of truth

"if my father were still here, he'd protect ealdor with his dying breath, and i shall do the same."

[1.10 — The Moment of Truth]

"Thanks for helping me get the water," Lia said

"Thanks for helping me get the water," Lia said. She and Merlin had gone to the lower town to collect some water for Gaius. "I didn't want to have to make the trip twice."

"It's no problem," Merlin said, picking up one of the now full buckets of water. "Though I'm sure you could've just bat your eyelashes at a knight and had him help."

"Perhaps, but then I'd spend the whole time trying to ignore the flirtatious comments."

"Oh, don't worry. I'll never tell you you're beautiful," Merlin assured her. "You're revolting to look at."

Lia giggled. "Likewise."

The pair happily moved through the bustling crowds of Camelot once they got all the water. Though they didn't make it far when Merlin spotted a familiar face. It was his mother, carrying very few travel items, looking as if she had only just arrived in the city.

"Mother?" he called, gaining her attention.

As soon as Hunith spotted her son, she rushed towards them. "Merlin! Lia!"

Hunith tried to hug him, but Merlin held her back, inspecting her face. Lia too noticed the bruising around her eye. Merlin held her face gently. "What happened? Who did this to you?" he asked angrily.

Hunith only smiled sadly up at him. There was a lot to discuss.

| | |

Of course, Merlin had gone to Arthur right away to ask for help. The Prince did not waste any time getting Hunith an audience with King Uther to plead her case. They were all gathered in the throne room, and Hunith stood before Uther and the court while Merlin and Lia hovered a few feet behind her.

"The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and if Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help," Hunith explained.

"Ealdor's in Cenred's kingdom," Uther stated. Lia bit her lip and looked to the floor, already knowing where the conversation was heading. "Your safety is his responsibility."

"We've appealed to our King, but he cares little for the outlying regions. You're our only hope," she told him.

The court looked to Uther expectantly, waiting for his answer. The King noted, however, that one of them continued to stare at the floor — Uther had been watching Lia more carefully since he began speculating her origins. "I have the deepest sympathy for you and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth."