xi | the labyrinth of gedref

"merlin doesn't really have a fever, does he? you just wanted to see me eat rat."

[1.11 — The Labyrinth of Gedref]

Lia and Gaius had been making their way towards the council chambers

Lia and Gaius had been making their way towards the council chambers. Merlin was off with Arthur and a few other knights on a hunting trip. The two physicians were discussing which herbs they were running low on as they walked down the hall.

Suddenly, a sharp pain hit Lia's chest. A quiet cry left her lips and she stumbled. Gaius held her up by her shoulder and studied her with a worried look. Lia was looking down at the spot near her heart, where the pain had faded.

"Are you alright?" he asked her.

"I - I don't know what that was," she murmured, frowning. "I think I'm fine now, though."

"Perhaps you should go lay down and rest. Uther will understand," Gaius suggested. Once the council meeting was over, he'd check on her health more thoroughly.

Lia shook her head. "It's not hurting anymore. I can make it through the meeting, I'm sure."

"Alright," Gaius agreed hesitantly.

He glanced at her once more before turning around and heading to the council chambers. Lia moved to follow but froze. She thought she saw a very familiar face in a white cloak standing at the end of the hall. However, as soon as she blinked, he was gone. A sinking feeling settled in Lia's stomach as she and Gaius made their way to the meeting, though she was doing her best to convince herself that her mind was playing tricks on her.

The meeting went on as normal. They discussed relations with the other kingdoms, went over any significant news, and planned some of the more important upcoming events. Slowly, Lia's worry moved to the back of her mind, distracted by the council meeting.

Though it came rushing back when Arthur and his knights entered. Merlin was following behind with a red pillow in his hands. When Lia spotted what was on it, her face paled. Slowly, she sank into a chair.

"Father, a unicorn's horn to grace the walls of Camelot," Arthur presented.

"Magnificent," Uther muttered quietly. He gently picked up the horn and studied it. But then his reactions changed. Arthur was confused as to why his father suddenly frowned and glanced almost worriedly at Lia. "It's been years since I've seen a unicorn."

"You've seen one before?" Arthur asked in surprise. He wondered why there wasn't already a unicorn horn hanging with the rest of his father's prizes from all his years of hunting. Surely he'd want to show it off to the other kingdoms.

"A once-great kingdom was home to several of them. However, hunting them was punishable by death by order of the King. I could only ever admire them," Uther explained. He glanced at Gaius and saw a deep frown on his face. "What is it, Gaius? Speak your mind."