Chapter 30

"Gally..." Her soft voice broke the silence.

The rest of the Gladers ceased their movements and turned to the intruder.

Gally's eyes darted around in clear panic, his hand tightening around the newly aquired weapon. The beam of her fallen flashlight illuminated his figure.

"Gally?" Thomas spoke.

Eleanor turned. The Greenie took a few steps forward.

"Don't." Teresa said curtly, gracing his arm.

He halted. Her eyes were set on the small gun. Eleanor shifted her attention to Gally's eyes as they hardened with one look at Thomas.

"Gally, what are you doing?" Newt used his reasoning voice she had seen him use many times before.

Minho had moved closer to her. Eleanor's heartbeat had jumped back to panic mode.

Gally's eyes suddenly found hers. Her heart sunk in her chest. She had already said goodbye to him. They had parted ways. And there they were, again, on opossing sides.

His gaze softened as he regarded her. She tried to swallow the bitter lump in her throat, unable to tear her sight away from his darkened eyes.

Minho was then close enough she could feel his arm gracing hers. She sensed Newt's warmth. His presence not seen but felt, like a shadow over her shoulder. Eleanor felt overwhelmed.

"We can't leave." Gally's voice came out strangled, his eyes still boring into hers, pleading, desperate.

Eleanor found herself taking a step towards him. A hand on her forearm stopped her advance.

"We did." Thomas intervined again. His voice soft, like he was talking to an infant. "Gally, we're out."

Eleanor could tell Thomas would just achieve the opposite of his desired effect even before Gally's expresion shifted at his words.

"We're free." Thomas continued.

His angry stare had burried whatever he had been thinking before. "Free?"

Eleanor didn't know if what came next was a sob or a scoff but her heart clenched and her wide eyes could do nothing but stare hopelessly at the sight of her former best friend, torn and broken inside by the Maze.

"You think we're free out there?" The words came out strangled, hurt. "No. No, there's no escape from this place."

"Gally, listen to me." Thomas tried again.

Eleanor had to shut her eyes tight for a second trying to think. Gally didn't like Thomas. She knew the older boy would not listen to him.

"You're not thinking straight. You're not." The Greenie said.

Eleanor stifled a gasp as Gally's hand started rising, pointing the gun towards Thomas. The whole group fell back in shock, coming together. Minho's grip pulling her backwards.

"Now, we can help you." Thomas sounded very nervous. He hadn't realised he was making the situation worse as he kept trying to calm him down. "Just put down the gun."

"We belong to the Maze." Gally's tone had a finality to it.

She couldn't help it.

She stepped forward.

Minho's fingers squeezed tighter, trying to pull her back. She pulled her arm away from his grip. She had no time to negociate with Minho or explain to him why she had to get to him. She just did.

"Gally."

His eyes snapped towards her at the sound of her voice. He gulped, closing his eyes tightly. His arm didn't lower.