Chapter 18

Minho and Eleanor had just left the Kitchens after stealing a sandwich for Minho, when the shouting was heard.

"Ben!"

Eleanor looked up at Minho questioningly. "Is that...?"

"Alby." Minho confirmed.

Without another word, they started making their way towards the sound, and even farther away from the Homestead where most Gladers were already ready for bed.

"Ben," Alby's voice echoed. "Stop right now, or you ain't gonna see tomorrow."

"The Deadheads." Said Eleanor, following the sound.

Minho nodded.

They picked up their pace, breaking into a run. Swatting aways branches and leaves, they made their way through the darkness of the forest. Eleanor could barely keep up with the Runner, but she somehow managed to.

"If you kill me, you'll get the wrong guy."

She recognized Ben's voice. Only, it was lower, deeper.

They were almost there. Eleanor could hear him clearly.

"He's the Shank you wanna kill."

They finally arrived. Eleanor came into a stop at the shocking image they came upon.

Ben was standing near the Newbie, Thomas. He had no shirt on, his sweat mixed with the dried dark blood. He looked just as the last time she had seen him, except he was awake, his eyes bloodshot as they glared at the Greenie. There was a sharp gleaming knife in his hand.

Eleanor held her breath. They had been in the Med-hut only a few minutes before. How had Ben simply woken up and left? Newt was supposed to be watching him and the girl.

"Don't be stupid, Ben." Alby calmly spoke.

Eleanor gasped before she could help herself, as she saw him a few feet away, holding a bow. He aimed a sharp long arrow at the blonde Runner.

"Thomas just got here. There's nothing to worry about. You're still bugging from the Changing. You should've never left your bed."

Alby gaze shiftly travelled to where they stood, with a completely blank expression. His gaze focused on Minho for a moment and he made a small gesture with his head. Minho nodded.

"He's not one of us!" Ben screamed, clearly out of it. "I saw him. He's- he's bad. We have to kill him. Let me gut him!"

Thomas took a step backwards, fear evident in his features.

What did he mean he'd seen him? In his memories? Was it possible they could have known each other before the Maze?

The leader hadn't made a move, still focused completely on Ben. Minho had circled around and was now standing on the opposite side, ready to take action if he had to.

Eleanor didn't know what to do. Her heart was beating loudly in her chest.

Please, don't let this end badly.

"You leave that to me and the Keepers to figure out, Shuck-face." Alby said, still perfectly still, to the point where he looked more menacing than she had ever seem him look before.

"Right now, back your scrawny butt down and get to the Med-hut."

It sounded like a final warning. Eleanor's heart skipped a beat.

"He'll wanna take us home." Ben continued. His focus was entirely on Thomas, his gaze holding a rage she had never seen in him before. "He'll wanna get us out of the Maze. Better we all jumped off the Cliff! Better we tore each other's guts out!"