Chapter 19

Eleanor observed the girl's face.

She really was stunning.

Of course, she went from being the only girl in the Glade to the ugliest girl in the Glade.

She emited a chuckle that soon turned into a sob, but she had no more tears to cry. She had done her best not to think about what had happened. But she didn't think she could manage sleeping, or even being by herself.

Due to that, a comatose girl had been her best option. Definitely better than any of the Gladers.

She played with the dried blood on her fingertips not having bothered to clean it. Well, she'd have all night to do so.

A soft knock distracted her from her fingers, making her look up.

She guessed all of the boys had already gone to sleep, but wasn't really surprised to see Newt standing at the doorway.

"Hey." He said soflty, as if he was worried she would lash out.

He looked horrible.

Not that she cared.

She didn't say anything.

Newt sighed and came inside the hut, passing the painfully empty mat with black stains.

"Go to bed."

She knew it wasn't an order, but it still felt like one.

Why did all these boys think they knew what was good for her more than she did?

Still, she didn't want to argue.

"I want to watch her tonight." She said as firmly as she could.

Newt surprised her by not opposing straight away.

He took a long look at her and with a sigh he moved to the cupboard, coming back only a few seconds later with some bandages and a bottle filled with a clear liquid.

The blonde boy sat down next to her and grabbed her hands in his, dragging them towards him gently.

The girl removed them. She felt really tired.

"I can do it myself." She said.

He frowned at her. "Don't fight me. You faint at the sight of blood."

Eleanor was fairly shocked he remembered but she was more surprised he didn't inquire on how she had hurt herself.

When she didn't make any movement, he spoke again, "You don't have to talk to me. Just let me do this."

She exhaled slowly, but put her hands back into his.

The next day passed by in a blur of work and numbness for Eleanor. She wasn't the only one.

The whole Glade was quieter than usual, which made it harder for Eleanor to escape her thoughts.

Specially, since neither Zart nor Alby were breathing down her neck, bothering her about some trivial matter she did not care about. When she thought about it, she hadn't seen Alby at all.

Zart was busy helping Thomas, who still looked clearly distraught, with his trial day as a Track-hoe. But, even if he hadn't been with the Newbie, she knew the dark circles under her eyes and the very public breakdown she had had the previous day would have kept him far away.

She couldn't believe it had only been a week. Two newbies, One girl. Ben had been stung, Ben had been hurt, Ben was dead...

Don't think about it.

Running helped clear her head a little.

She hadn't run at all for a long time and her aching muscles actually helped her take her mind off things. Focusing on the physical pain helped, strangely enough.