Chapter 26 ➼𝒮𝓉𝑒𝒶𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑔 ℱ𝒾𝓇𝑒

Start from the beginning

Before anyone else can respond, the doors are slammed open. Angelina turns, her eyes widening as she finds Raen sending the girl an apologetic look as Ontari walks in behind him. Angelina had met the woman once during her time in Azgeda.

Ontari snarls as she looks to Clarke. "You!"

She rushes to Clarke. Aden attempts to intercept the woman but fails as Ontari throws him to the ground. Ontari tackles Clarke as she pulls out a knife. Before Angelina can intercept, Titus grabs Ontari's wrist, stopping her movements as Roan yells, "put the knife down, Ontari."

"Your mother is dead because of her," Ontari snarls.

"You will obey your king," Roan sternly tells the woman.

Ontari scoffs as Titus removes the knife from her grasp. "An unfortunate fact that we have her to thank for as well." Ontari glares at Angelina as she stands, "no matter. When I am heda and the king bows to me, you and every last member of Skaikru will die."

Angelina left Roan and Raen to handle Ontari as she follows Clarke and John down to speak with Titus. The three of them enter to find the man praying over the flame.

He turns, yelling as he says, "you do not belong here."

"Really?" John smirks, laughing as he asks, "then why is my blood decorating your floor?"

Angelina looks down to find dried puddles of blood under a chair. She winces, moving forward to Titus as he says, "there is nothing left for you in Polis. Why have you not gone?"

"I'd like to know the same thing," John complains as Angelina elbows his side.

"We need to talk about Ontari," Clarke demmands. "She wasn't trained here. Why would you let her into the conclave?"

"Ontari has the blood of the commanders, same as Angelina," Titus says. "It is her birthright to complete for the flame." He turns to face both women with the flame placed carefully in his hands.

"Is she really in there?" Clarke asks, saddened by the image before her.

Titus turns to Clarke, a sorrow expression on his face as he responds, "of course she is." He places the flame in the box, enclosing the lid on it before wrapping it in a red cloth with commander embroidered across the front. Angelina watches as Titus moves to the back of the room.

"Why does it matter who wins?" John asks both women before him. "I mean, if your girlfriend really is in that thing, then we have nothing to worry about, right? I mean, let's just get out of here while we can."

"That's not exactly how it works," Angelina speaks.

"It matters," Titus confirms. "I have served four commanders as flamekeeper. None of them half as wise or strong as Lexa kom Trikru. But the truth is, she was all of those things even before  ascension. The flame deepens what's already there. If the spirit of the commander choses Ontari, the Ice Nation will control everything and Skaikru will face her wrath."

"Not really a silver lining type of guy, is he?" John comments.

"So how to we make sure that Aden wins?" Clarke asks. "He was Lexa's choice, you know that."

"And she will chose him," Titus assures.

Angelina pauses as a horn sounds through Polis.

"What is that?" John asks, glancing to Angelina whose eyes sit wide.

"The victory horn," Titus gasps, rushing out of the room.

Angelina rushes out of the room behind Titus. They race up the stairs to the throne room where a crowd has already gathered. Angelina pushes her way to the front with Clarke right on her heels.