1-Hope

Life as a slave is one of the most difficult lives to live, especially when you're the slave of someone like Watto. He wasn't just emotionally abusive, but he was also physically abusive, which I guess is normal for slavers. He constantly threatened to set off the bomb in my head that all of us slaves had. So I had the pleasure of living everyday worried that it would be my last, although there were some days I wished he would just do it already. Eventually you just get tired of having someone constantly holding something over you.

I'm nineteen years old and I've been here on Tatooine as a slave for him for nearly eleven years. I was told that he bought me a few years after he lost his previous slave in a wager. I knew the previous slaves mother though, Shmi Skywalker was her name, she was a lovely woman who could never stop talking about how proud she was of him. And that she missed him, but was grateful that he got a better life than that of a slave.

I envied him for being set free. I hoped that I would be freed just as he was, since him and I did share something in common.

I missed Shmi too, she made things around here tolerable, but then Watto sold her, and I never saw her again. That was about five years ago, so I've been alone here ever since with only Watto on my back about how I can never do anything right.

"Stupid girl!" He complained as he threw a wrench that I quickly dodged, I've had plenty of practice after all, "I lost a customer!"

I stood back up and gazed upon him with slight fear in my eyes, "I'm sorry Watto." Even though it wasn't my fault, but I got used to apologizing for things that had nothing to do with me, "I told you that pod was un-fixable, it was burnt to a crisp. There really wasn't much I could do." I sighed, even though I had a legit explanation, it didn't matter, it was always somehow my fault. I picked up the wrench with my abilities; so it floated in the air towards him and he grabbed it.

He groaned, "What did I tell you about using your little mind tricks eh?" He rolled his eyes as he set the wrench down on the table aggressively.

I shrugged as I picked up a rag to begin cleaning the shelves, "You said not to use it when anyone is around," I turned around to gesture at the empty room, "No one is around." I turned back to the shelves to finish my cleaning so I could go home and this hellish day could come to an end. I was also starving, the suns were setting soon and I haven't eaten a single thing today.

He growled, "That smart mouth is going to get you in a lot of trouble," I didn't even need to turn around to know that he held the remote for my chip in his hand, "You're lucky you're my only slave, I'd have used this ages ago." I heard the sound of his wings flapping away and I sighed as a tear escaped my eye. I was so tired of this, this is how every day went, I would do anything to get out of here.

After another hour, he came back inside, and I was finished with my duties for the day, "Is it alright if I go home now?" I asked with worry, sometimes he tells me no and I end up sleeping here on the sand covered floor.

He eyed me for a moment before nodding, "Get out of here. But I want you back tomorrow before the suns rise." He flapped his wings and flew slowly away from me. I sighed with relief and quickly left this awful place. I practically jogged home as I pulled my hair out of its bun and I let it flow down my shoulders.

I reached my small house, it was in a community where most slaves lived, if their slaver was gracious enough to gift it to them.The only reason I have one is because I shared with Shmi. But now that she's gone, it's just me in here. Watto never took it away either, so I consider myself lucky.

Once I finished eating and washing up from the day, I laid in the small bed that once belonged to her son. I could have taken hers once she was gone, but I've already gotten comfortable here. Besides I liked looking at the little drawings that he had carved into the wall, most likely from boredom. My favorite one was of him and her in a speeder, driving away from a poorly drawn Watto. I'm sure he drew him poorly on purpose, if Watto treated him like he treated me, no doubt he hated him just as much as I did.