End of the World: The Doctor 7.12

Qiao Chen was surrounded by a few soldiers on the dormitory stairwell. Fang Huailin was the leader.

Qiao Chen looked at Fang Huailin and asked, “What are you doing?”

“Leave with us, Mu Chen.” Fang Huailin said.

Qiao Chen sneered, “Are you planning on taking me away by force”

“We won’t hurt you if you come voluntarily. However, if you refuse, then we can’t have you stay here in East One Base alive.” Fang Huailin threatened.

Commander Feng knew that Qiao Chen was far more valuable then the aerospace incubator. They’d be able to give up the incubator as long as they found a way to take Qiao Chen away with them. It was possible to expand their power once Qiao Chen joined their ranks. With Qiao Chen, they’d be able to become the strongest base in the country; they’d be able to be the leading base in the entire apocalyptic world they called reality.

Qiao Chen knew what they were planning. Commander Feng was very ambitious even though he wasn’t a very talented person. This type of leader would inevitably dye his subordinate with his same colors. Commander Feng didn’t think it was above him to force people to play by his rules even during normal times. He’d use any insidious means possible. The only thing the apocalypse did to change him was make him even more blood-thirsty and power hungry than before.

Qiao Chen pushed Fang Huailin’s extended hand away, “Don’t touch me. I’ll walk on my own.”

There were a lot less people who left with 03 Base than when they arrived. Everyone except the soldiers decided to stay.

Qiao Chen was stowed away in a hidden carriage of a truck and taken back to 03 Base.

Qiao Chen stood at the window and looked out at the horizon. He never expected to actually return to the torturous place that he live for two years.

He turned around to look at the room given to him. He never had such good treatment in the two years he lived here before. He was forced to live in a crowded dormitory with the other medical personnel who didn’t develop any abilities. Sun Yu often made his life harder while he was there too and his monthly essentials were usually missing a few things here and there.

Fang Huailin knocked on the door and entered. He put the rice box down on the table for Qiao Chen to eat. Qiao Chen walked over and opened it to take a look. The food was surprisingly good. There was a lot of meat and vegetables. The portion size was quite large too. Qiao Chen was feeling hungry so he welcomingly ate his fill.

Fang Huailin sat opposite to Qiao Chen. He was originally worried that Qiao Chen would go on a hunger strike. He thought up of a bunch of ways to convince Qiao Chen to eat beforehand and was relieved to see that he took the initiative to eat on his own.

Once Qiao Chen nearly finished his meal, Fange Huailin spoke, “Our Commander is like this. He wants to let you know that we will give you the best treatment and meet your requirements to the best of our abilities as long as you do your work well and don’t resist.”

“Aren’t you afraid that the people from East One Base wouldn’t hunt you down once they found out that you’ve brought me here? Well. you’ll see. I doubt you’d be able to keep this base in the end.” Qiao Chen replied.

“Don’t underestimate the defensive capabilities of the people here ar 03 Base. People on the outside can’t easily enter. Even if they did manage to break in, what would they be able to do when the hostage is in our hands?”

“So? What did you bring me here for?”

“We need antibody vaccines, a variety of new drugs, treatment plans, and, most importantly, we want you and Dr. Lu to continue developing new vaccines to reverse the zombification process and turn them back into human beings.” 03 Base found out that the information that Sun Bin and his team stole was password protected. They couldn’t get into the files because they couldn’t crack the code.