Ending 2: Together

HIKARI

"I'll stay." My eyes went wide and I snapped my head towards him. He didn't look at me but I saw a small grin form on his lips.

He can't be serious?!

"Sora, no!" I shook his arm aggressively. "You can't just leave your friends behind!"

Sora scratched the back of his head, a sheepish grin on his face. "But if I was meant to not come back in the first place, why shouldn't I?"

I...he, has a point but still! That meant my efforts from saving him from his fate were for nothing! I can't have him leave the people he cared about so much behind. This is gonna take some convincing to do.

"You choose to stay and accept your precedent fate? Then what of her?" The voice boomed.

"She can stay too." Sora answered calmly, as if it were obvious. "I'm not letting her be alone in this room, besides," He turned to look at me with a warm smile that sent butterflies in my stomach fluttering. "It's better if we're together." One of his hands reached and clutched one of mine in a firm grip.

I could only stare in shock, not knowing what to say even while I told myself I was going to convince him to change his mind.

"Wh-Why...?" My voice cracked. "Why would you go so far for someone like me?"

It was silent between us for a couple of seconds, his expression softened but the warm smile never left his lips. "Because...I care." His grip on my hand tightened a little, as if to assure me. "This is my fate, isn't it? I can't just let you suffer alone, can I? Also..." The warm look in his eyes vanished and I saw sorrow and grief. "I can finally rest...take a break even."

Huh? What was he talking about?

"Sora...are you okay?" What I didn't expect to happen next was him to start breaking into tears and nearly breaking down in front of me. I know he wanted to but he wanted to be strong in my eyes.

"S-See? That's why---you're the only one who ever cared to ask." My heart dropped and I felt sorrow plague it. 

No one has ever asked him if he was okay? Like, truly, if he really was okay after what transpired in the keyblade graveyard?

His muffled sobs broke me out of my thoughts and I quickly brought him into a hug, rubbing circles on his back trying to soothe him. He laid his head on my shoulder and cried, I felt the wetness on my shoulder.

"Are you sure this is what you want? You won't---see them anymore. You're gonna be stuck with me whether you want to or not." I attempted to joke but deep inside I felt a form of relief having him with me. Call me selfish but I was secretly happy that he stayed---even for a moment.

I felt him lift his head off of my shoulder and stared at me in the eyes. "I'm sure." The corner of his lips quirked up to a small smile. "I have you, don't I?"

A laugh left my lips, making me shake my head. "You're suppose to say something else but I'll take it." My eyes drooped a little, feeling them water as I attempt to blink them away. "Did you mean what you said?" It came out as a whisper but with the distance between us I'm pretty sure he heard it either way.

"I'm sure." He answered again but firmly, and I felt him brush his thumb under my eye. I was going to question him until I understood it was because I let a tear fall. "So don't cry anymore, I'm here now." Sora leaned in so our foreheads were touching, I could feel his breath on my face as we stared each other down.

I closed my eyes and I'm thinking he did the same. All I saw was surrounding darkness, but in front of me I saw light. It was warm and it embraced me like a blanket.