Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty: Maggie

It's comical, how we went from not wanting to be confined in a room simply because the other person is there, to having other people walk out of the room because of us.

I didn't want it to come to this, I honestly didn't. As much as I'm not afraid to be confrontational, there's a lingering trace of shame when there's an audience to witness my meltdowns. I give a shit, contrary to popular belief.

The remorse didn't fail to creep up my spine knowing that because of my compulsive behavior, I've caused great tension amongst me and my peers whose bonds I probably won't be able to mend after this project is over.

It's hard not to notice when the moment goes from tranquil to downright awkward whenever I try to act like Audrey reprimanding us last Thursday didn't happen, and that we somewhat confirmed that something is happening behind the scenes and that so-called thing implied history.

So it's only rational that one tries to avoid getting caught up in the web of two venomous lovers who still can't help but let their bitterness show. We tried to practice common courtesy, but it's not like it was being done mutually, as we still refused to interact. That's why we weren't able to discuss what we were supposed to do to make up for the group.

It wasn't until Monday rolled around and we resumed working on the project, doing it in one of the vacant classrooms and eventually wrapping things up, except for me, Evan, and Clarence, as we were still trimming some minor details on the presentation.

"I think we're done for the day, we only have a little bit of work to do and we can finish it by tomorrow so you can get some rest," Clarence said, shutting off his laptop as I turned to face him.

"I mean, we still have time, we can try to finish it today if that's okay with you?" I suggested as he thought about it, opening his mouth before his eyes drifted to Evan's direction, his throat bobbing as he quickly shook his head.

"It's fine, we can do it tomorrow," he insisted, retrieving his belongings in a rather frenzied manner as I stared up at him, puzzled.

"But Clarence-"

"Seriously, it's fine. You need your rest, I need mine. We'll catch up, okay?" Desperation was evident in his excuses as I ended up shutting my mouth, knowing that this was a lost cause.

"Okay," I replied meekly as he shuffled out of the room, letting the door swing back and forth on his way out whilst I blinked at the odd scene that just took place.

"... What goes around comes around, I guess."

Realizing that I wasn't the only one left occupying the class, I turned my head to look at Evan as he mindlessly scrolled through his phone from where he sat at the corner of the room, a look of nonchalance on his face as I clenched my jaw at his remark.

"Are you implying that this is karma?"

He stayed quiet, his gaze not averting from his screen "Depends on whether or not you feel guilty that we've ruined our friendship with the group."

"I do feel guilty. It's hard to tell whether you feel the same way, though. Considering you partook in the predicament we find ourselves in."

"I never denied not feeling guilty about it, but it's better to let things take their course instead of rushing into things and trying to initiate reconciliation when we both know they're still uncomfortable being around us." he implored as I kept my eyes on him.

"That's not going to happen if we don't work on reconciling ourselves, now will it?"

The sharp intake of breath he took didn't fail to catch my attention, as he averted his gaze from his phone, but still not looking at me as he just aimed it at the wall.