Chapter 51 | very toxic situationship

Start from the beginning

If Evelyn was a star, I won't have missed her as much as I did.

Reality hit home.

She wasn't a star and would never be a star.

The stink of a thousand seas surrounded me.

Swollen to mighty depths, its cavernous bowels stirred and spilled before me.

It was a mix of rotten kelp and dead fish.

The wind whipped the stink on my face.

I didn't bulge, nor retreat no matter its persistence.

With a tight-lip smile, I chased down a molten dough of tears.

"Here, I brought a replacement for your beanie, do you like it?"

Over handsome compliments and random smiles, Lyn scribed down notes and bookmarked the vital events of my life as we chatted in the vibrant storm.

Huge relief flushed down my spine, and a substantial weight lifted off my chest as our heart-to-heart hit a gratified goodbye.

I slid my folded coat over my arm, adjusted my hat, and tucked on my black shades.

In the claustrophobic silence, farewell tears sailed my last respects.

Minutes later, I curtsied my way out of the churchyard, trekked past a teashop, and toured a roundabout to hail a taxicab home.

TALL OFFICE BUILDINGS DOTTED with many squared windows saluted me from a distance.

Our neighborhood was ghost-quiet but for the clacks of fresh bedspreads threaded with fine beads on Anna's lawn.

I made my way into the apartment and inhaled the flirtatious school of downy steam while gulping at the laid-back stew set before me on the dining table.

"Whoa, did our neighbor's cat sail into the west?"

Had that troublesome cat finally died and Anna was celebrating its absence?

Fast and lively dance-pop music resonated inside the apartment.

Its upbeat would tap into any persona and lure them to sing out loud while snail-dancing all night.

What had I missed?

The sleek walls of Anna's countryside apartment were decked out with pink balloons and red-disco lights.

Enormous shrieks of laughter burst in the kitchen and Anna stepped out.

Knotted bombshell curls framed her face.

They fell over her shoulders en route to her demon-black denim top.

Her hair was styled to perfection and her make-up was like fire.

Stuck on her waist, was a sexy pair of slim-white jeans whose blunt edges dangled on nude high heels.

"Should that be the case, it would have been an even bigger party. But too bad, Sabrina has birth triplets under your bed." Held tight in her hands was a tray of spiced fish which she carried to the dining. "If not, Mr. Knox should have bickered with his wife or fired hostile slang in our backyard."

"He is first of all shameless." I sighed, picked up my sneakers, and hooked them. "We have to sweep that devil and her kittens out of my room before that man gets here. Why doesn't he lock his beast at home?"

I kicked the door shut, and spread our curtains.

"If he does lock Sabrina home, what excuse shall he use to see you?" Anna cocked a brow at me, slumped into a chair, and smiled. "He might make a move on you tonight. It's like the old man wants to eat you till you drop."