The worried looks on their faces didn't disappear. "Paigy," my nana whispered. "You don't have to die to us. If that dog hurt you, then... we can tell someone. We can go to the police. We can get rid of him for you, forever,"

I sighed. "I am fine. I... I know you guys don't think so, but he isn't a monster. He has never hurt me, and he never will. So if you guys could quit the bullshit and just enjoy the goddamn birthday, that would be greatly appreciated,"

I sighed, my entire family, staring at me with wide eyes before my mother finally nodded. "Right... after all... he did make sure that I... could finally get to... that we could finally see each other again," she said, turning to her sister and parents.

Thank you, finally, someone seeing sense in this goddamn family.

Finally, I took a seat at the far end corner of the couch, as far away from my family as possible. My aunt sighed. "Anyways, Paige, uh..." she looked around the room, stretching forward to look through the doorway into the hallway. "Now, it's been so long since I've last talked to you, what are our plans for the future... if the alpha lets you... plan anything..."

I wanted to groan. "I want to be a midwife, and Allen is really supportive, says that I'll be the best midwife at the best birth clinic in the state," a smile spread on my lips. "He thinks it's good, that I have ambitions,"

Her eyes widened. "Really?"

"Yes," I actually did groan this time.

She nodded slowly, pressing her lips together as an awkward silence filled the room, but then finally spoke. "Well, Nessa is planning... well, tell her, Ness,"

My cousin cleared her throat, surprised by being suddenly put in the spotlight. "I... if I don't end up... " she tilted her head from side to side. "Like you, you know, with an... owner, a wolf, whatever. I want to... be a journalist. For a newspaper, you know, or maybe a TV station... I don't really know," she shrugged. "I don't want to make too many plans in case I end up... getting disappointed,"

Electricity lit through my body, my heart skipping a beat, as the realization hit me. This expression... the teenage girl, brown hair hanging loose, fear for her future, for her life, in her eyes, terrified of her next birthday... that was me, just a few months back. The terror of being owned by someone, by having all of your dreams crushed by an animal that only needed you for breeding...

And then I got Allen. My Allen. My sweet, loving, dumbass himbo with a love for cooking and his younger siblings, and me. The lovable dork who blushes when he wants to cuddle makes any and all excuses to touch me, hold my hand, and tell me he loves me... Allen.

I wanted to tell her. Comfort her. Tell her that there was no reason to be scared, to worry. That it was a waste of time because she was never getting any more unconditional love, than if she was as fortunate to have a mate like I have my Allen.

A deep breath left me. Wow. It's just so... me to have realizations like this surrounded by people who hated Allen as much as they do... I held back a sigh. I'll have to get her alone, tell her... she doesn't have to live in fear like I did.

At least I can let out a bit of the truth. "I don't think you'll ever need to be disappointed. So far I've met a lot of people with mates... and wolves... none of those I've met have seemed to mind their mates having careers... actually, my friend Ember doesn't even want to finish high school, but her mate is low-key forcing her, because she says she needs an education," I shrugged. my entire family staring at me like I'd grown a second head, third arm, and a watermelon-sized cyst in my forehead.

"You can't be serious,"

Deep breath, Paige. "Yeah. They... want us to be happy. They... love us, so obviously-"