Chapter 5: Karai...?

Bree tried to jump into fighting stance, but her knees gave out. She would have face-planted if Karai hadn't whirled around and caught her. Kari smiled, though her eyes were confused.

"Woah there." Karai said as she eased Bree onto the couch "Sorry. I guess Danny put too much sleep in your dart." She chuckled and sat down next to Bree. Bree scooted away from the other girl. Karai frowned. "What? Do I stink or something?" She lifted the collar of her flexible unde-armor to her nose, sniffing.

"Are you working with Shredder?" Bree demanded, ignoring Karai. The girl froze, eyes turning sad, and her dark red lips pursed in a thin line.

"He... died a long time ago. Sensei talks about him a lot, and I can see how much she still misses him when she does. Splinter killed him. Why? How do you know about him?" Karai asked. Her eyes changed from sad to suspicious as she asked the questions.

Bree shook her head. "I'm sorry, I'm confused. Your Sensai is a girl? And when did Shredder die? Karai, what are you talking about?"

Karai's eyebrows furrowed. "That's not my name. I'm Miwa. And how could you be confused? Everyone knows about Hamato Splinter and his Minions, and the love triangle between him, his brother, and my mother, Teng Shen. Teng Shen turned her grief into a power for good, and she trained me and my sisters, the Teenage Human Ninjas."