Chapter 2: The newest addition to the team

Bree showed the turtles all the memes she had screenshoted, asked Dinnie for help with her science work, raved to Leo about the responsibilities of being the oldest  (she was one of the oldest kids in the orphanage, after all), joked with Mikey, discussed fighting styles with Raph, and overall tried to postpone the inevitable: their departure. Suddenly, the portal above Bree's window began to flicker.

"Guys, we gotta go before it's too late," Leo warned. The brothers looked at each other and nodded, Donnie reluctant, Raph steely eyed, and Mikey sad.

"What about me?" Bree asked, not wanting to be sidelined like April and Casey were so often.

The turtles exchanged a look. Raph began to speak.

"Listen, kid, this has been nice and all but you can't come. Your not a ninja. You're not prepared."

Donnie picked up the speech. "And we have no idea how your cells will react to the portal. I still don't know the physics behind it all. Does it work for us because we're mutants? However, April and Casey can pass through easily, so maybe it has something to do with-"

"UUHHHH! Okay, dude! We get it! Sciency portaly dohicky is dangerous." Mikey intervened. He turned to Bree. "Sorry dudette, but you can't come. It's comforting to know that there are humans out there who appreciate all we do, but if something happened to you, I know I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. Sorry." He looked at his feet, downtrodden.

"Okay, fine. I'll stay." Bree promised... her fingers crossed behind her back. Mikey gave her one big bear hug before following his brothers.

Once the last of Mikey had disappeared into the portal, which was now mutagen green, Bree leaped through.

The empty room buzzed energy. Papers fluttered across the carpet, still littered with the belongings of Bree's bunk mates. The portal flickered once, twice, then shut off, the room now devoid of life and light.