Chapter 55

Masha

Chaos broke out.

When the strange man came out accompanied by his fire I leapt to my feet, the Werewolf holding me tumble in frantic surprise as three strange wolves flowed out from the pine trees. I can see my father Keanu, roaring in challenge, immediately engaging a wolfkin as the big brute jumped straight at me. I fell to the hard ground in a flurry of growls and bloody fur.

I could hear Louis calling me through our link, but I was too occupied with the two other wolves who are circling me. I dropped my head and pulled my lips back in a snarl, the stranger wolves both ragged of intermediate browns and grays, a harsh mien in their eyes as they snarled back, saliva dripping from their fangs.

'Masha!' Louis finally broke through, but I had to ignore him, as both wolves leaped at the same time. I dodged, ducking down, my opponent sailing over my head with a frustrated snarl.

'Stop,' I spoke to my attacker, sending the thought as forcefully as I could. The wolf was mid-leap, and I got a glimpse of harsh shock on his face as he went abruptly limp, falling to the ground in a tangle of limbs and tail. I paused, tilted my head, and had no idea what just happened. The strange wolf was still alive, but unconscious. How did I do that.

A yelp sounded behind me, reminding me that I'm not alone. I spun back to see on the other side that Keanu is taking on the other foreign wolf, his first opponent laying still in the snow. His brother and the others from his pack were circling the remaining wolfkin, all of them bloodied and torn.

I ran over to them blocking the last attacker's retreat. The coward yelped and ready to bolt, but I was on him, pinning his bigger body to the ground, my slender hands on his throat. Which is unbelievable feat if you examine closely but I don't have the time to think of my new found strength.

I didn't break anything, just held him still for a split second then out of nowhere a snapping electrical charge into the downed wolf from my hands making him limp, the scent of roasted meat rose as I backed away from the unconscious wolf.

'MASHA!' Louis mental shout made me jump, and then I guiltily remembered my poor mate, who was really frantic with worry.

'I'm fine. Don't worry about me,' I hurriedly explained to my mate. 'One is dead, the other two I stopped.'

Louis relief swept through me, 'Get back now! The pack is under attack! I sent Josh to protect my mother and siblings. Please go with them.' Louis cried across our link, and my head shot up. I was off for the pack lands before I could tell my feet to move. The urgency in Louis mind voice was impossible to resist. 'Please be careful, armed wolves in human forms are at the border near the gates. I'm taking the other survivors with me to stop them. They will not get away with this.'

'Be careful, my alpha,' I told my mate, before watching him from afar paws digging in the snow as he flew through the pines, he's still bloodied and torn but his moves were still deadly as he charged through the throngs of wolves. Our warriors on his tail. If they made it back in time, they might be able to join me and the other survivor wolves of our pack in our counterattack.

I thanked my many years of training to fight for my reflexes when a handful of furred bodies burst out from the groundcover, fangs and claws extended to slash my throat-I ducked in time to avoid instant death, but got a furious beta on my back instead.

*****

Louis

I tore through the gathering winds, the storm screaming across the mountain tops, Me and a handful of my enforcers who survive the siege were heading to the gates where the initial fight was raised by the Enemy's Pack. Most of my tactical team was shifted and a few strides back, minus a few wolves who had died due to the fight. We are only ten wolves, but all highly skilled fighters and the strongest betas of my pack. They all howled and snarled, their cries echoing through the dormant trees, the bending road beginning to straighten as they rounded the last curve before the gates.