༅ 25. See You Soon

A/N: I HIGHLY suggest you listen to the youtube video embedded in this chapter as you read.

It's going to be a heavy chapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Under the Light, Part 8: See You Soon

Year 844

"So, sis, did you get to read the letter I wrote you?"

They all sat on the ledge that night at the terrace on top of the headquarters which overlooked the pastures of their training grounds. The nocturne hour paved way to the gloomy and starless horizon above them, a dreary and grim eyesore of a sight that was no different from the same dark ceilings of the Underground.

They all slumped in dismay.

"I did!" Vanya replied, remembering how Isabel's words moved the mountains in her heart when she was reading it at the bridge yesterday. "It left me in tears, I probably looked so stupid but I never felt so proud and happy. Look how far you've come!"

Isabel pouted. "I made you cry?"

Vanya ruffled the girl's hair, "The good kind of cry, Isabel, don't worry."

"Good, because that's the first and last time I'll ever attempt to write to anyone, I never knew writing could be such a pain in the ass," the girl grumbled, crossing her arms.

"Tell me about it," Vanya said, sharing her frustration. She pinched Isabel's cheeks fondly before looking over at Furlan who sat beside Isabel. "I read yours too, Furlan."

"Yeah?" the man spoke, scratching his nape bashfully. "Well, I tried... It was nothing, really."

"And I can't thank you enough for it," Vanya smiled delicately. "Those letters, I kept all of them every single one."

"You did? But my writing is so shitty, it's not worth keeping."

"Sure, but it was the closest thing I can get to hearing your voice. Receiving your letters would always give me a reason to wake up each day."

Furlan grinned. "And we were so ecstatic when we finally received one from you after months!"

"I'm so sorry, it took so long," Vanya said apologetically.

"No, it's fine! We completely understand, you were cooped up in that hospital all day," Furlan replied. "We've been dying to hear from you and when you finally replied, you can't imagine how much it made our day. Most especially this guy's, right Levi?"

Everyone looked over at the said man who sat beside Furlan, right at the farthest end from where Vanya sat.

Levi was gazing up at the morose night sky while they were all talking. But he was listening, he was always listening. Hearing the sound of their voices together out in the open, right on the surface, was still something he didn't think it would actually happen.

"Levi?" Vanya lightly called out from the opposite end.

"Hm," he grunted nonchalantly without breaking his focus on the skies.

Vanya adored how gorgeous the man appeared just looking up. "I kept your letters too, Levi."

Levi finally looked at her with astonishment written all over his face. "Why? They're just paper, nothing special..."

"So, you didn't keep mine then?"

Furlan and Isabel had to restrain themselves from laughing when Levi bashfully whipped his head away from all of them.