Chapter 4

"Hi baby how are you doing?" My mom asked excitedly over the video call she insisted on doing. I can't really be mad at her for calling, after all, i did promise her i would pick up every time she called. Its just that, she could have picked a more convenient time to call, because i was getting ready to go out to dinner with my friends.

"I'm doing great mom. My first class was yesterday. I even made a friend! His name is Finn." I say happily, smiling wide.

"Woah little bro, I'm surprised you actually managed to make a friend" my older brother Jonas said, earring a smack on the back of his head from my mom.

I love Jonas, but if I'm being honest, he's the representation of what i didn't want to do with my life. He flunked out of college halfway through his junior year, and he doesn't have a degree or job. Even at the age of 24 he lives at home with my parents, living off of their money.

"Shut up Jonas." I say in a weak attempt to make a come back, causing him to chuckle.

"We miss you so much Teddy" my mom said, and I think if you look close enough you could see tears in her eyes.

"I miss you guys too-" i started to say but was cut off by my mother.

"You can always come home if its too much for you to handle" she said with hope filling her voice, almost making me feel bad for liking it here so much.

"Sorry mom. But i like it here too much to leave. I've already made friends and i have a degree to get" i tell her.

I watch as my dad comforts my mom, soothingly rubbing her arm, whispering sweet things into her ear. I admire the way my parents are still in love even after 28 years of marriage. Thats something a lot of couples don't have.

"Ok honey. We just miss you, thats all" she says when she finally regains her composure.

I hear the door unlock behind me, and i don't even have to turn around to know that it's Caleb walking through the door. As weird as it sounds, I've already memorized the way his footsteps sound, so i know who it is entering our dorm.

"Who's that Teddy? Is that your boyfriend. Teddy make sure you focus on school alrig—" my dad starts to lecture, but i cut him off before he can say anything embarrassing with Caleb in the room.

My parents both know I'm gay, and they've always been very supportive, which I'm thankful for, because I've had friends who didn't have supportive parents, and that is absolutely terrible.

"No!" I all but shout to the camera, vigorously shaking my head, "No! No way. Thats my roommate, Caleb"

At the sound of his name, Caleb walks over to my laptop and shows himself on camera with a large smile on his face.

"Hi there!" He said, happily waving. "I'm Teddy's roommate."

"Hello Caleb. I hope you're treating our son well. I don't want to have to-" I immediately cut my dad off when he starts to lecture Caleb.

"Ok by guys, we gotta go! I love you!" I shout into the screen, immediately slamming my laptop shut, cutting off the call. Part of me feels bad, but the other part of me knows i can always call them later, when Caleb isn't in the room.

I can hear Caleb chuckling from his side of the room. "Your family is really... interesting?" He says with a questioning tone.

"Thats one way to put it" i grumble.

"Why did they think i was your boyfriend?" He asks.

"They've always been like that. Any boy i come near, they assume is my boyfriend." I say, honestly.