Chapter Twenty-Seven

Aglaesha scowled as soon as she saw Nathair standing rigidly beside the Queen. The two of them stared down at her husband-to-be with sickening condescension. Conlaed miraculously kept a calm demeanour, face icy. He ignored the King's steward stubbornly and said to his mother, "Why did you summon me, Tenna?"

The Queen wrinkled her nose uncomfortably at the absence of the word 'mother'. She cleared her throat anxiously. "My sweet boy, you are most unfair to your new father."

"As were you to my true father."

"Do not be childish, Con. I loved King Maxum as much as I love his brother now." Tenna stepped forward, cheeks reddening. The prince moved backward, an expression of disgust upon his face. Aglaesha placed her blistered hand on her prince's shoulder. Conlaed kissed it tenderly, before replying to his mother's scold, "Being childish is better than being unfaithful, is it not?"

"How, pray, has your mother been unfaithful?" Nathair broke in foolishly. Aglaesha hissed softly. Do not get in his way, father. Do not be blind with importance - they will rid themselves of you whenever they feel like it. Do you not see that father?

Conlaed laid his fiery gaze on the steward and his blue robes. The heir's lips twisted into something sinister. Aglaesha squeezed his shoulder firmly, wincing as a stinging pain spread through her healing hand. Con was tense. Very tense. The Mage was certain something irrational was developing in his troubled mind. She swallowed and whispered in his ear gently, "Be calm. They shall win if you are not calm."

He smiled lovingly at her and nodded slightly. The prince turned back to his mother.

"Tell me, why was I summoned? Was it so you could preach to me of my sins, while you are gallivanting about committing sins with every breath you take?"

Tenna glared, all softness gone from her features. Her honey hair glowed like fire and her eyes seared with embarrassed fury. She seized her son by the collar and brought her face dangerously close. The Queen's voice was unforgiving as she snarled, "Do you remember who I am, Conlaed? Do you?"

"You are the Queen of Maidora. You are my mother. You are the wife of your husband's brother. You are a liar."

The Queen spat angrily. "I had thought you would have ended this foolishness by now! It seems you are mad as they whisper, Conlaed - maybe as mad as your little friend in the tower!"

Aglaesha clenched her jaw to keep herself from swearing a storm at Tenna. It was not her place. Instead, the Mage placed a steady hand on Con's arm, pulling him back ever so slightly as he growled, "Why. Did. You. Summon. Me." Aglaesha knew the prince's ever word was a strain to rein in his rage. The Queen glanced at her son's fiancée suspiciously. She met the Queen's gaze with stony calm features, or so Aglaesha hoped. Her heart was thudding in her chest as Nathair stepped in front of the Queen and held out a hand toward Aglaesha.

"Come, daughter. This is not for your ears."

She refused to take his hand. Instead, Aglaesha kissed the prince most passionately and snapped, "I shall never leave my love's side."

Con kissed her in return, eyes gleaming. "Neither shall I."

The Queen scoffed. "You will both do as I say! I am the Queen!"

Conlaed chuckled disgustedly. "You are no queen - a queen is just and strong; you are neither, mother."

Tenna whipped around to Nathair. "Lock the doors."

Aglaesha's hope dwindled as the loud click of the chamber's door sounded behind them. She had completely forgotten the locks on the royal chambers. She gripped her prince's arm tightly as the two nobles stared them down. The Queen became utterly sinister in the golden light that streamed through the windows around them. Nathair remained a rat.