16. ANOTHER LONG STORY

Start from the beginning

For the moment a dull ache in my heart became apparent. Kate knew always to call me out on my decisions. And I realized what I've been doing all this time, I've been projecting my insecurities and hiding from the hurt of my own imagination.

"You should not be making the decision for the both of you Alex, give him the chance to walk away instead of assuming that he would." She said.

"God, I'm such a hypocrite..." I mumbled, and after what he said, how could I-?

"You should talk to him," She said.

"I should...." I agreed, "I will." Then I smiled genuinely, "thanks, Kate."

"You're welcome..." She laughed, "Now don't put it off, I don't like it when you're sulking. Also, your mom is super worried, she doesn't want to fuss around you so she called me and told me to find out what's bothering you.... Or if something is wrong again. Is there?" A little bit of worry leaked into her voice.

I smiled and told her honestly, "nothing's wrong, everything is normal."

"Thank god. Well, anyway... I'll tell your mom everything is fine and dandy, while you go get your man. Oh shit! My kitchen is smoking... gotta go-Matt! What the heck-" And the call ended.

I put my phone down and pulled on my other shoe, the sun was gone and the sky was turning dark blue when Jenny's voice called my name. "Alex, are you going home?" She asked, appearing with a packed tray in her hands.

"Yes, but if you need me-..." I was saying but Jenny cut me off.

"No, no not really, I just need a small favour, since you're going home anyway, could you drop this off at Jensen's? I made too much lasagna and that idiot didn't show up... his place is on your way... I'll send you the address, I was gonna go myself, but I suddenly have a teleconference." She said, pleading.

I bit my lip in thought before taking the tray from her hand. "I'll make sure he gets it."

She brightened up and smiled, "Great!" She lingered a bit and I frowned at her.

"Anything else...?" I asked.

"No, I mean... it's just that Jensen seems a bit down these days, maybe you should talk to him, clear out the air..." She suggested, and I stared at her wide-eyed.

"I- you... I don't think..." I stuttered, not knowing what to say, or where I was going with that.

Jenny laughed, "I know." She said, "you guys are not as subtle as you would like to think, plus Josh said something when he was drunk, and Kyle had told me a few things... I can put two and two together." She winked.

I couldn't help the blush that crawled up over my face, "It's nothing, I mean-..."

"No explanation required, you're too good for him anyway, he got lucky...." She wouldn't be saying that if she knew how selfish I was being, how much pain I've caused him.

"I-I should go..." I stuttered out and soon I was getting in my car and driving away from a smiling nodding Jenny.

Holy shit, that was scary!

I followed the address Jenny had texted me and soon I was standing in front of a gate to a decent sized building. It was painted white and looked well maintained.

I pressed the doorbell and waited, expecting the intercom to come alive but instead the automatic gate opened. I frowned, but stepped inside, looking around at the cropped garden and the front yard curiously. He lives here alone? This place was fit for a few dozen of people.

I stepped up to the door and tried to get one of my hand free to knock or something when the door slid open and he was standing there in front of me in a t-shirt and comfortable grey track pants.