12. HOW MUCH LONGER?

Chapter 12: HOW MUCH LONGER?

*****************************************************************

Alex's POV:

*************

"He's doing what?" Kate exclaimed on the other end of the phone.

"You were the one who told him I like white lilies." I said, "and now my desk at work is filled with them." Will claims he's allergic to lilies when he's clearly not.

"He sure is persistent," Kate mumbled.

"And I'm not good at avoiding him, I've been trying, but he's stubborn," I said.

"I know that about him, worked with him for three years now." I could imagine her nodding along, "But what are you gonna do? You can't always miss gatherings and dinners and just give the excuse that you're too busy to take his phone calls, you need to make up your mind Alex."

"I know, I just... I don't know what to do..."

"You can be honest with him," she suggested what Sam already had.

"And what, deal with it when he'll treat me differently." I scoffed.

"He won't-"

"Don't bother Kate, we both know how it is, you all treat me differently too and you know it." I interrupted her as she tried to deny it.

"We just worry about you," she said softly.

"And my parents think I'm too delicate and breakable, it's already too much for me to handle" I sighed. "Plus I feel like I'll make it worse if I tell him, I don't want him to be trapped in an obligation."

"Sounds like you've made up your mind..." Kate said.

"I haven't," I said honestly. "But either ways, it's not fair to him."

"Seems like there's no right answer in this." she thought out loud. "I can't even begin to imagine what you must be struggling with."

"Kate you already know what he's been through and how that has affected him, I can't put him through that again," I said sadly.

"You've been through a lot too...you deserve to be happy." She murmured.

"Not at his expense."

We talked for a few more minutes before she yawned and I told her to sleep as I wished her good night and hung-up.

Yesterday I had returned back to my apartment, and with it, the quiet of the empty house, and lonely surroundings returned too. I didn't mind it all too much, especially since I was at work for most of the day.

The day was long and hectic, my workload has only increased as I have settled into my role in the office, but now it was late at night as I laid still in my bed, with eyes closed, thinking... somehow sleep evaded me.

Mom's words from a week ago rang in my inner ear and then her words were followed by Sam's advice and then my own conscience.

Albeit annoying and sometimes frustrating as he was, Jensen was still very persistent and sweet and caring and clearly remorseful for his actions, if the flowers he sends each day with little handwritten notes is any indication of his dedication to winning me over. I hate to admit it but it's working... just a tiny bit.

He definitely found his way around phone calls. I smiled. I rolled over to my bedside table and pulled open the drawer that had small cards with his notes.

I don't care if you're gonna think this is too corny and tease me forever,

I just care about you and hope these flowers help brighten up your day just a little bit.