4. READY OR NOT

Chapter 4: READY OR NOT

********************************

Alex's POV:

*****

Routine was important. I didn't appreciate it enough but I've realised, it's what keeps me going.

I was back to a routine and I understood that was what I needed. I decided that a routine is good, it keeps me busy and away from deplorable thoughts, and so... every morning I dragged myself out of my bed and left for work.

I was in training right now, since I only recently joined the office. Dad had helped me understand most of the work and then immediately decided to take a break from his professional life, leaving me incharge.

I should have known that was his plan all along.

My office room was huge, it was leniently parted into two regions. The work area consisted of my glass desk surrounded by a few chairs. My reclining chair was the most comfortable one. The other part of the office room consisted of royal blue couches arranged around a coffee table that looked like it belonged in an art exhibition. There's an indoor golf simulator on one wall, and my dad's proud collection of vinyl was fastidiously arranged in a see through glass shelf. An entire corner was dedicated to signed baseballs expressing one of many dad's hobbies. The room was colourful for a change in a 'not' flashy way which I especially liked. Dad definitely had good taste.

Since I'm new at this work, dad's (and now my) assistant Mr. Will Anderson is taking it slow with me. At least for this week, later I'd probably be drowning in work without a doubt.

Will is an odd specimen....yeah, I'm no one to judge, but this man was definitely not normal. He either hated me, for being an incompetent boss, or he just hated everyone and I was no exception. Knowing dad, I don't understand how he managed to work with him, but for some reason I can imagine both of them just hitting it off.

Will was a few years older than me but his rugged looks made him look much more sophisticated, and so it was highly frustrating whenever he would start giving me 'wise' advice out of nowhere and yeah...he was very sarcastic.

There was a knock at my door and then he walked in with a file in his hand. His walk was brisk, almost robotic, his rectangular glasses were perched on the bridge of his nose screening a set of olive green eyes. He seemed serious with his rugged countenances always composed to look like he just had a tough, highly-intelligent conversation with a complete idiot.

He was dressed in a black suit with no hint of vibrance as usual, his dark hair was swept sideways in a professional manner and he stood out like a sore thumb in my very bright office. He isn't cruel no, he's just indifferent to things that don't matter in the long run....or so I've heard from dad.

He kept the file on my table and said, "This is the finalised report for the marketing scheme of the new device we are about to launch."

"Alright I'll take a look." I said, barely looking away from my computer screen. But when he didn't leave like he always does I turned him and asked, "What happened to put you in such a grave mood."

"The world's about to end." He said flatly. No one would think he was being sarcastic right now.

"Seriously?" I deflated in my chair and narrowed my eyes at him. "Can you not be cynical for a minute?"

"I'll try." He said simply.

"I don't understand how your mind works, and that frown, get rid of it please, can you not smile, is it too wrong to look happy?"

"I can't look happy when the world's about to end and human intelligence is regressing." he said and I had to refrain from face palming, he then added, "take a look at this." pushing the file he brought towards me. "I don't approve, you should send it back and make them actually work for the salary they are paid." I had to look at him with shock, this was the first time he actually sounded mildly irritated with something.