Chapter 19

Rowan

A week of riding with minimal rest made even hundred-year-old witches and fae tired. Their tents protect from the fierce winds with magic, food heated over the fire, but the camp was silent. We all knew what was missing. On top of that the army's morale had already been dropping every hour we rode before the search for Aelin, soldiers whispering their doubts to one another hoping for some peace from the years of a raging war. Everyone wished to see their families, their homes, alive and smiling but with Maeve and the threat of the portal breathing down our necks, peace wasn't possible anytime soon. As if Aelin and Dorian's disappearance hadn't been enough. I pushed the tent flaps aside to find Manon hunched over near the wyrens, eyes shut in pain.

"Manon," I asked worriedly as I walked over. She didn't open her eyes as I approached. Her hand placed above her heart as if she could stop it from cracking into a million pieces. Before I could talk more, pain vibrated my bones as I doubled over onto my knees.

"You feel it too." She whispered. "He's dying Rowan and I don't even know where he is. I can feel his pain, I can feel his magic being depleted. It has to be the lock. There's no other explanation."

I struggled to talk for the next few moments as the pain increased systematically. I could feel Aelin's power getting ripped from her core as well, I could feel her pain but at the same time, Rowan could tell this wasn't the end. Aelin would fight, she always did. No one messed with the fire-breathing bitch queen and lived.

"They're going to be fine. The gods don't have enough power to take them away from us." Don't tell anyone about this yet, even your witches. The bond's still there Manon, I can feel her fighting and I know Dorian would be too." In truth, Rowan was hoping for the best. For years now Rowan had known Aelin had always had a death wish, no regard for her own life after everything she had seen. If Dorian was hurt too, there was no way Aelin would not tear her world apart to save him and then bring him home to his mate. He just wished she was thinking about hers.