Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“What did hottie want? And that’s the last time I’m asking!” Kathy asked. She’d drilled me question for about a good two days.

“He wanted to say hi,” I replied, picking at my burger. We were all hungry so we stopped at a quaint little beachside restaurant for dinner, where I had ordered a veggie burger and a vanilla milkshake. I wasn’t a vegetarian but I didn’t always want to eat processed meat.

“Oh, yeah right, Beth, that’s what you keep saying, ” Ali said.

“Well, we’re going to go on a date sometime,” I said casually. Both Ali and Kathy gasped.

“No way!” Ali exclaimed. Apparently she thought that no hot guy would ask me out. Way to boost my self esteem, I had thought to myself.

“So, hottie’s single…” Kathy dreamed.

“Yeah, and hottie is mine,” I replied with a bit of an edge to my voice. I pulled at my shirt a little, hoping she really would back off. I really liked him.

“Sorry, Beth,” Kathy apologized.

“It’s okay.”

“So, did you get his number?” Ali said. I stalled by taking a bite of my burger. After I chewed and swallowed the bite I figured I should reply.

“Nope,” I finally answered.

“Beth, I’m sorry!” Ali said sympathetically. That made me realize ‘pathetic’ was in the word sympathetically. How wonderful! “Maybe he just wanted to see how you would react. I mean, why else would he ask you on a date?”

“Ali!” Kathy hissed. “What are you trying to say?” 

“I gave him my number, genius,” I said. “So he’ll call me when he wants to.” My voice sounded matter-of-fact.

“No way,” Kathy said, her eyes getting huge as she looked past us.

“What?” Ali said.

“Hottie-” Kathy started.

“Brett,” I corrected.

“Sorry, Brett is here! Like right now!” Kathy said.

Ali and I turned to where she was looking and saw she was right. He and his friend from two days before were at the ordering counter. Brett’s friend said something to him, Brett nodded and he turned. He leaned against the counter and smiled at me. I blushed, as usual, and he started to walk towards me.

I quickly looked down at myself to see if I was presentable. I was wearing my black bikini under a purple cotton v-neck, which was very comfortable if I might add, jean short shorts, and purple flip flops. I was wearing minimal make up and my hair was down and wavy, its natural state. I usually straightened it but saw no need that day.

I heard Kathy and Ali get up behind me.

“We’ll be back once he leaves,” Kathy casually stated as they went and sat at a table not too far away.

“Kay,” was all I could say. I had looked up to Brett and watched him walk over to me.

“Hey,” Brett said, smiling.

“Hey,” I replied, mesmerized by his face.

“Can I sit here?” He motioned towards the table.

“Yeah, yeah,” I said. I looked him over. He seemed to have gotten hotter; he was wearing a light grey t shirt and khaki shorts.

“So, how about that date?”

“You never called me,” I said nonchalantly, and took a sip through my straw of my milkshake while looking at him.