Salem Witch Trials.

Shane shivered in the cold as he texted Sara to let them know that the group had landed. He had offered to see if she could come too, but Sara had said no, insisting that she needed to work here instead. Shane hadn't pushed the subject. Ryan walked with a certain nervous air about him, like he was walking on eggshells. Shane watched him cautiously, careful not to push him past their silently agreed boundaries. Ryan seemed to calm as they began to film the place, having already filmed the history back home. Shane knew the story of this place all too well, and remembered some of Ryan's telling.
"Finally, the possibility that Burroughs had used an invisibility cloak, given to him by the devil, was suggested by the chief justice."
"Oh my jesus christ." Shane had responded, rubbing his eyes with his palms as Ryan laughed. "This ism... so upsetting."
"It's upsetting, but it's also kinda funny when you think about it." Ryan had responded.
"If you're an educated man from Harvard. Who is like, 'Well surely the Chief Justice will have something reasonable to say. Chief Justice, what have you to say?'"
"I've seen him use an invisibility cloak; I know he gave it to him, the devil!"
Witches were horse shit in this story, but the hysteria that followed had invited many a demon to visit the place. Brent and he had even visited near the end. Things definitely looked different now, since most of it had fallen to rubble years ago. Shane didn't enjoy revisiting this place, and the memorials they visited only made Shane more sad. Overall, Salem was a bit of a bust, only reminding Shane of a sad grouping of memories. Salem did, admittedly, remind Shane of a town in olden France. Shane mentioned it to Ryan, which elicited a more normal reaction of surprise and playful teasing. He was still tense, but Shane hoped he could get Ryan to relax. They had explored the town that night, and Shane had thought they would be heading back the next morning, but they ended up going back to the site in the daylight, and Ryan gave Shane a set of old clothes. Shane debated arguing, but didn't fight Ryan, as this seemed to cheer him up some. He came back after changing.
"Well I feel good." Shane said sarcastically.
"You don't look like-"
"There's- there are no pockets on this. I don't know what to do with my hands."
"You don't look too happy." Ryan commented, Shane responded by looking at the camera and putting his fists on his hips like Peter Pan.
"Come on ghosts!" Shane said teasingly. Ryan smirked, and they waited for a second.
"Act more natural. Be a puritan."
"This is so dumb." Shane complained, Ryan chuckled again, maybe just because of Shane's discomfort.
"If there is anybody that wants to come talk to us, now is the time." Ryan called. Shane glanced around at the empty field. Shane really didn't understand why Salem was claimed to be haunted. To his knowledge, both angels and demons alike had watched this place like it was a powder keg. And the minute anyone passed in this area, they were scooped up quickly. The idea that any of them had slipped through seemed remarkably unlikely.
"You're ghosts." Shane said after a moment of silence.
"You gotta break it to them gently. They don't even know they're dead, that's why we are dressed up like this."
"We're alive, just like you." Some of us more than others. Shane thought. "Let's go down to the pub."
"God, you are the worst." Ryan complained, smiling, and turned to walk down the hill.
"Sooo...not a smashing success."
"No, this didn't work out as well as I thought it would. I really thought it would work."
"We could'a-" Shane paused to laugh as Ryan slid on the snow he was unaccustomed to and almost fell. "We could'a researched a little better." They agreed, and they left. Shane, TJ, and Mark had left to get lunch, but Ryan had stayed at the hotel, despite numerous attempts to convince him otherwise. Shane had come back with food he knew Ryan liked, and had left TJ and Mark to go to their room while he went to his. He opened the door, and was about to announce his return when he heard something that made him fall silent.
"-trying my best here, Helen."
"Ryan..." The voice sounded staticky, and Shane figured he was talking to her on speaker. "I know you are. I want to as well, but you are gone so often now."
"That's why we call, right?"
"I know that's enough for you, but-"
"Please...let's talk about this when I get back? Okay? Let's have some time to think, and we can work it out."
"I-" Helen sighed. "Okay, Ryan."
Shane almost turned and walked back out the door, but Ryan and Helen said their goodbyes and hung up. Shane heard a heavy sigh follow, and a muffed sob. Shane walked into view of Ryan, who sat on the edge of his bed with tears in his eyes. Shane didn't say anything, and Ryan didn't either. One look and Ryan knew Shane had overheard. He didn't seem mad, so Shane just sat down beside him, and Ryan cried into his shoulder. Shane let him, one arm around him. Shane put his chin on top of Ryan's head, and the two simply sat in silence. The only noise was Ryan's soft cries and hitching breath as Shane rubbed circles on his back calmingly. They left the next day, and Shane stayed close by Ryan. His shorter co-host never seemed to notice, though, and if he did, he didn't mind. TJ and Mark noticed too, and they gave each other knowing looks. Exchanging a knowledge that Shane and Ryan themselves were unaware of. Yet. There was always later. There was always...yet.